What would you have done?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Road Fiddler

Pete said:
Yes, if you can get into such a position. But the cars are unlikely to leave a gap, unless you got there first!

In this situation i stop with my front wheel slightly ahead of the second or sometimes depending on the junction the front of third car angled slightly in to the car, i look around at the driver so i know he has seen me, In most cases i can accelerate away quicker than him giving me space, i wont always go to primary as there is often no need. What i have done though is made him aware that i am there and positioned myself to alow me to get through the junction using my position to discourage him from passing me and turning left across my path. If he is going straight on in most cases they just sit behind you without any problems. I dont recall anyone giving me any problems or verbal whilst doing this.

CarnageAX

Seems to me if the traffic was moving faster he would have wanted to overtake you to progress his journey on a little faster. Also cars do not usually look in their mirrors when edging forward in standing traffic so always try to get eye contact with a driver before pulling in front of them.

Be careful undertaking though because I tw**ed some poor guys wing mirror one day (he was cool about it, I didn't get punched).

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
As RoadFiddler said. There's almost always enough of a gap to own the space ahead of car no. 2.

That said there are times when I'll go right to the head of the queue, only because I don't want to waste time waiting behind car no. 1 as it crawls forward to join the queue on the other side of the junction.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
CarnageAX said:
Also cars do not usually look in their mirrors when edging forward in standing traffic so always try to get eye contact with a driver before pulling in front of them.
Strangely enough (is it just me ??) I check all three mirrors before I move the car forward, I do drive into cycle lanes if there is enough space to get back out and I cannot see any cyclists and their is a motorcyclist behind me (why should I hinder his journey ?). I think that is nice and being courteous to other road users.

Sadly, on me bike......

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
You too Elmer? Mirrors, I use 'em regularly in queues. Just 'cos I'm stuck, doesnt mean I have to hold up any bikers using the 'third lane'. I think its because the first vehicles I drove were vans, but I use the wing mirrors more than the rear.

col

Legendary Member
I dont think you did anything wrong either,the guy was a twonk.but the only thing i would say,is that as long as the car your moving in front of knows what your doing,a normal and mostly decent reaction is given.

Top Bottom