What Would You Say to This?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Octet

Octet

Veteran
The Allez will have a fairly aggressive riding position but well bolted together for sure - I'd go for that over the Raleigh which has an alloy not carbon fork. It will however take a rack and guards more easily which may be important if going to be using for commuting (or going to college).

Go have a looksie and a test ride :smile:

Thanks, at a beginning level I don't particularly want to go all 'Tour De France' style. I've just emailed a local shop which stocks Raleigh to see if they have one in stock that I could go and look at. Looking forward to buying it, not sure if my pocket agrees but that is another matter.

Again, sorry about the links... probably enough here to open your own search engine :shy:

aJohnson

Frame size is dependent on the bike. Different bikes have different frame sizes, so there isn't a universal size chart. I'm 188cm height and 87cm inside leg and I'm on a 58cm Trek frame.#

But 61 seems very big for your height.

OP
OP
Octet

Octet

Veteran
Frame size is dependent on the bike. Different bikes have different frame sizes, so there isn't a universal size chart. I'm 188cm height and 87cm inside leg and I'm on a 58cm Trek frame.#

But 61 seems very big for your height.

Shall look into it then, I've short listed the two Raleigh and Specialized bikes and shall give a call to the cycle club guy. Shall be a busy day, going to about three bicycle shops and hopefully, walking out with one (obviously only if there is one which is comfortable, fits and I like it) :biggrin:

Any advice to look out for on the bike if I do go and see it? Any things to check, any where in particular to look for damage/wear and tear?

aJohnson

Shall look into it then, I've short listed the two Raleigh and Specialized bikes and shall give a call to the cycle club guy. Shall be a busy day, going to about three bicycle shops and hopefully, walking out with one (obviously only if there is one which is comfortable, fits and I like it) :biggrin:

Any advice to look out for on the bike if I do go and see it? Any things to check, any where in particular to look for damage/wear and tear?

I'm not knowledgeable in that area but I'm sure are people on here who are. I'd just suggest to look for cracks, check wheels are true, make sure size is correct.

OP
OP
Octet

Octet

Veteran
Ok, the Secteur has gone but I've just got an email back concerning the stock that one shop has. They don't have the Raleigh 100 but they do have the Raleigh 400 which they've reduced to £500 and are agreeing to negotiate.

Which one, Raleigh 400 or Specialized Allez?

vickster

Legendary Member
Got links to the specs? Also you need to try to test ride to see which suits YOU better - bikes of the same price aren't the same in other ways :smile:

OP
OP
Octet

Octet

Veteran
Ok, test rode it and it felt really good!
It is four series above the Raleigh 100 and so is in theory a lot better, plus it was a lot cheaper. £450 for a £750 bike.

It felt slightly strange to be on a road bike, but it was comfortable and so I've purchased it. Should be delivered tomorrow afternoon, I didn't want to ride it back half way around the island on the busiest coast road when I haven't fully gotten used to it.

I can't wait though, I compared the parts with the Allez (to the best of my ability) and the ones on the 400 where higher then on the Allez or the same.

Thanks for all the help!

postman

Legendary Member
If you have bought the Raleigh Airlite 400 for £450 a BIG well done to you,a nice bike with 105 on it.Evans are selling at a lot higher than that so well done at hunting tha one down.

Top Bottom