Lucy Locket,My husband has died and I would like to sell his Claude Butler number 50400 I think it is old he had all his life can you help me and give me any ideas of price please I live in France
@lucy locket : sorry to hear of your loss.
I don't know much about Claude Butler bikes (apart from them being "what we all wanted" when I was in my teens - 1970's).
However, I had a quick look and copied this from a "retrobike" forum post:
1. 1928 – December 1949, Claud Butler ownership, first number = year, next = month, then annual frame count.
2. January 1950 – October 1956, Claud Butler ownership, first two numbers = year, next = month, then annual frame count.
November 1956 – March 1958 Receiver-ship black hole.
3a. March 1958 - Dec 1958, Holdsworth ownership, first number = month, next = year, then monthly frame count.
3b. January 1959 – Mid 1967, Holdsworth ownership, sequential until about 31000 Seperate thread HERE
4. Mid 1967 – Mid 1976, Holdsworth ownership, sequential from 50000 until about 71000
5. Mid 1976 – November 1985, Holdsworth ownership, six digits always starting with a 0
6. December 1985 – January 1987, Marlborough ownership. No info at present.
7. February 1987 – present day, Falcon ownership. No info at present.
So it could be from 1967 to 1976 - So still in the "desirable period of "CB" manufacture.
Best wishes. Guy.
edit: depending on condition and components £150 upwards?