What year is Claude Butler number 50400

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
It pains me to say it, but not terribly valuable. If it's in good mechanical order, doesn't need any money spending to make it properly rideable, maybe the £75-£125 mark.

You’re in the right ballpark, no more than £100. It is complete though, and they’re so well engineered virtually everything is serviceable. My 1963 CB was worse than that, finished it fetched nearly £350.

E8D20982-A1CD-40EC-BB38-75C0FD467311.jpeg

19BF566C-2A43-4A95-9263-5B69D936F0B6.jpeg

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
This is from the retrobike thread about this bike from a very knowledgeable CB individual

"It's clearly not a low end machine, just one that's been dressed up like an 80's Claud. The metal head badge was never produced in those colours so has definitely been repainted in the post 1976 colour scheme. if the silver elements are actually raw aluminium rather than silver paint then the badge at least would be the high end aluminium version used pre 1956.
As for the bike? I need better photos and also a photo of the badge number, 51400 could be 1967 or it could be either 1935 or 45 (5) January (1) production count 400.
Somethings niggling me about those cutaway lugs, just can't put my finger on it.....
@midlife can you ask if it has a straight or arched/curved brake bridge?
Straight would be pre 1956 and post 1976.
Curved would be 1959-1976."

Perhaps the OP could let us know about the rear brake bridge

Drago

Legendary Member
The GB beam stems lingered in into the 70's.

Sneaking feeling the head badge is not original to the bike, but certainly the finishing kit has been messed with and is mix of different eras. The only thing original to the frame is, I suspect, to the brake calipers, and possibly bars and stems.

Either way, I stand by my ballpark valuation. Even one of the 531 frames won't push my estimate any higher.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I live near Bordeaux in France thank you for your help
Too far for me , although there are a couple of French residents on cycle chat

Top Bottom