Whatever happened to? part 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goldfang

Whatever happened to those metal carrier affairs that you buckled a Karrimor/Carradice saddlebag to, which then fixed to your (usually) Brooks saddle by means of two metal lugs/tabs that go through the saddlebag eyes. We used to use a toe clip strap to go round the seat post from the little leather slot affair on the saddlebag. Hope I have described this well enough for someone to see what i am talking about!
Most bike shops used to stock these a few years ago. I gave my one away ages ago, to A guy who was going to start copying/making them, dont' know if he ever did.

OP
OP
G

Goldfang

do I get the feeling nobody knows what I am talking about!!

raindog

er.....
Do you mean a sort of support for the saddlebag to stop it getting depressed and collapsing in a heap? My dad used to have one but I think he made it at work.

Don't use a saddlebag meself.

style over speed

riding a f**king bike
Bagman supports?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Carradice_Bagman_Standard_Sport_Saddle_Bag_Support/5360042590/

carradice-181153-med.jpg

nickprior

Veteran
Weren't there two versions of the uplift? One with a 90 degree bend to provide a platform under the saddlebag, the other without the bend. I used to have one of the latter back in the 70's.

Can you actually get saddles these days with the lugs to support the uplifts? I guess Brooks still do them? The old (80's) Wrights Swallow on my shopping hybrid still has them.

Canardly

Veteran
Karrimor uplift, there is one on ebay for about £45 atm. topic has been discussed on CTC forum with piccies of both types.I used to have one of the simple angled chrome jobs.Brooks seem to be adding the lugs back again on various models. These uplifts were/are so useful It is hard to see why they are still not made today as you simply unclip the carrier and take it and the bag away together.For those of you with access picture are down the page on linky below. One a certain metal fabrication shop in Nelson should look at thinks.

http://forum.ctc.org...=16497&start=15

Top Bottom