Whatevs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
By keeping things simples I hope to avoid an omnishambles which might be preceded by a loud kapow.

I like reggae music and grudgingly admire some of the West Indian cricketers, but there's no chance of me turning Jafaican.

At least I don't suffer from nomophobia.

Being without a mobile is not sumfin that bothers me, it's hardly summum malum.

I shall chillax and keep my style easy-breezy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-50052420

Drago

Legendary Member
It does seem off that phrases such as these make the dictionary, when their use is ephemeral and they'll be extinct in 10 or 15 years.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I wonder how many of these words will be in use in 30 years time?
In the 1970s the OED included 'mini pini', it's hardly ever used these days.
(Drago just beat me to it)

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There has been research into the average vocabulary of a person.

Can't recall the numbers, but it is many times fewer than the number of words in the OED.

Thus many, many words are never used, but I suppose they are dormant rather than extinct.

These new words will survive, at least in that fashion, purely because they have made it into the dictionary.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Watching the final episode of Melvyn Bragg’s The Adventure of the English language recently, I was struck by:

1571140506859.png

I for one was amazed to discover that as recently as 1935, words like nearby and colourful were regarded as ‘loathsome’ interlopers rather than just English.

Also, what happened to ‘help make’? And when did ‘worth-while’ lose its hyphen?

Most of these neologisms will probably end up falling by the wayside. But I think it's a sign of vigour in a language that it sprouts them constantly. Personally I don't know how I ever got by without innit. Innit.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Word.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't tend to mix with people who say 'innit' all the time so I hadn't really been aware of its increasing popularity until about 15 years ago. I was delivering a eulogy at my father's funeral when I spotted someone in the congregation who looked vaguely familiar, but I couldn't work out who he was. I spoke to him afterwards and he turned out to be a friend from my teens/twenties who had aged a lot since I'd last seen him about 25 years before that. Every other sentence of his ended in 'innit'. I found it an irritating affectation and asked him why he was doing it...

"Cos we all speak like that, innit?"

"No, we bloody well don't, and you never used to either - why are you trying to pretend that you are 15 years old rather than 50!"

Levo-Lon

Guru
Jafaican is particularly irritating. White English people, usually teens and 20 somethings, trying to speak Jamaican patois is pathetic. When its done by older people its excruciatingly embarrassing.
Anyone remember Tim Westwood.

Tha Black guy that worked for me for years refered to these muppets as Wiggers:laugh:
I like his way of thinking ^_^

Chris S

Legendary Member
Jafaican is particularly irritating. White English people, usually teens and 20 somethings, trying to speak Jamaican patois is pathetic. When its done by older people its excruciatingly embarrassing.
Anyone remember Tim Westwood.
In may not always be intentional. There is a teenage white girl who gets the same bus as me and who has a slight Asian accent. All her friends seem to be Asian. I don't think it will be long before the Birmingham accent is influenced by Asian and West Indian accents.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
In may not always be intentional. There is a teenage white girl who gets the same bus as me and who has a slight Asian accent. All her friends seem to be Asian. I don't think it will be long before the Birmingham accent is influenced by Asian and West Indian accents.
Or the other way round...

I was once watching a TV programme with my elderly mother (who was born and raised in the Scottish Highlands). There was an Asian family chattering away. Ma turned to me and said "Och, I can't understand a word that they are saying!" I pointed out that they didn't really have strong Asian accents. She laughed and said "Nooooh, it's the Glaswegian accent - I can never understand what people from Glasgow are saying!" :laugh:

Top Bottom