"What's a chainset?"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mythste

Veteran
I don't see the issue? You ask for something, staff doesn't understand.

Yet the staff then spend their time trying to find out for you (and hopefully learn themselves in time), and get others to help. Instead of taking the pee out of them, how about acknowledge they actually did spend time to try and help and find out, when they could have shrugged their shoulders and said "dunno mate".

Hopefully, those guys you spoke to, will now know that terminology. Everybody keeps learning, even simple stuff that you know, may be new to others.

plus 1!

I dont know, but I'll try to find out!

@op, did you explain to them what it was or just watch them suffer?

Milkfloat

An Peanut

I was commenting that google has more hits for chainset than crankset - therefore you could assume that chainset is more common.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
plus 1!

In trying to explain, even pointing out the parts on a bike, it confused them even more. Resorting to the computer to find it out.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
plus 1!

Really? I would hope that the staff of a bike shop would have seen a picture like http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/bicycleparts.html (or an English version that says chainset :laugh: ) and have it available to them easily... but I'm not sure you can really call where @classic33 went a bike shop and this is part of the reason why...

Yet still people favour deskilled low-wage big-box shops and they're egged on by discount deals from national cycling organisations that are pretty effectively working against cycling by joining in that attack on skilled bike shops.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Really? I would hope that the staff of a bike shop would have seen a picture like http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/bicycleparts.html (or an English version that says chainset :laugh: ) and have it available to them easily... but I'm not sure you can really call where @classic33 went a bike shop and this is part of the reason why...

Yet still people favour deskilled low-wage big-box shops
and they're egged on by discount deals from national cycling organisations that are pretty effectively working against cycling by joining in that attack on skilled bike shops.
Two quotes required for parts. I was passing, so thought I'd get one there.

Nowt more than that. Still had to get two quotes elsewhere though.

Brandane

Legendary Member
a national retailer

T'wasn't Tesco!
Or any other supermarket.

Was it a dedicated cycle shop or a shop that sold bikes and components amongst other things?

Both.

They do market themselves as a bike retailer though.

Just trying to avoid naming them,

Come on Classic; stop being coy and name and shame! If you don't want to confirm Markymark's guess, can I just ask .....

Does it start with "H"?

And end with "alfords"? :okay:

I hate the term chainset as the one thing the set doesn't comprise is a chain. Crankset makes more sense.

Maybe its just algebra. Chain rings plus crank set equal chain set? Even so, it would make so much sense the other way round. Crankrings.

I hate group set even more. A group is a set of things. A set is a group of things. As a linguist I find the concept of a group set just horrendous

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
I hate the term chainset as the one thing the set doesn't comprise is a chain. Crankset makes more sense.

Maybe its just algebra. Chain rings plus crank set equal chain set? Even so, it would make so much sense the other way round. Crankrings.

I hate group set even more. A group is a set of things. A set is a group of things. As a linguist I find the concept of a group set just horrendous
Using the term crankset didn't help though.

I agree with you on the use of crankset. But only if you agree that the crankset comprises a left crank and right crank. If you refer to a modern two-piece crank (aka Hollowtech etc) the set comprises two items. If you refer to older cranks with a separate spindle, then a crankset comprises left crank and right crank but no BB. The spindle in this case is in the BB.

I disagree with you on groupset. The term has fallen out of use because of the way components are sold nowadays. It used to be a crankset, FD, RD, two hubs, stem, seatpost, brake levers, brakes and shifting levers. If you've been around the block, it was a "gruppo". I still like it.

But, as a linguist I disagree with the British use of forks for a single fork. It will be like that 'till I die. Then you may say forks.

Top Bottom