What's a good first cx bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flyingfish59

Recently photographed a CX event up at Leconfield and was totally impressed by the whole thing. Now looking to purchase my first cross bike but it'll have to be a used model. Any suggestions, please? Currently running a 1990's Peugeot Carbon Teamline 1500 road bike but want to get off-road as well. The Peugeot will be sold to raise funds for the new bike if anyone is interested? Cheers.

outlash

also available in orange
Welcome to CC :smile:. All the major makes a cross bike of some kind and you won't got far wrong with one. My personal choice at the moment is a Cannondale CAADX.

HTH

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Recently photographed a CX event up at Leconfield and was totally impressed by the whole thing. Now looking to purchase my first cross bike but it'll have to be a used model. Any suggestions, please? Currently running a 1990's Peugeot Carbon Teamline 1500 road bike but want to get off-road as well. The Peugeot will be sold to raise funds for the new bike if anyone is interested? Cheers.

Does it have to be used?

There's a Boardman CX which is decent value, particularly if you hit the 'buy' button when the variable price is low.

A mate has one and is pleased with it - apart from the bottom bracket failing which is not unknown and was fixed under warranty.

@EasyPeez may be able to assist.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...vc:c|adp:1o2&gclid=COqY1r_N9MoCFSIIwwodNQsPzA

outlash

also available in orange
Does it have to be used?

There's a Boardman CX which is decent value, particularly if you hit the 'buy' button when the variable price is low.

A mate has one and is pleased with it - apart from the bottom bracket failing which is not unknown and was fixed under warranty.

@EasyPeez may be able to assist.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...vc:c|adp:1o2&gclid=COqY1r_N9MoCFSIIwwodNQsPzA

Hm, not so sure it's ideal for 'cross racing. It's heavy, runs compact (50/34) chaingrings rather than cross specific (46/36), tyres are too big (UCI legal limit is 32mm, although local races may not be so strict), I think you could do better for roughly the same money.

OP
OP
flyingfish59

flyingfish59

Welcome to CC :smile:. All the major makes a cross bike of some kind and you won't got far wrong with one. My personal choice at the moment is a Cannondale CAADX.

HTH
Thanks for the welcome and replies! It'll have to be second hand as my budget won't stretch to a brand spanker. Also need to sell the road bike to put towards it. The biggest thing that has put me off the Boardman CX and Team models is that the cables run along the down tube. Think I'd prefer one that has internally routed cables. And disc brakes! Am I setting my sights too high perhaps? Not looking at racing just yet - just love the idea of getting off road as well for training purposes.

midlife

Guru
Hi Welcome :smile:. Slightly off topic but us there still an RAF base at Leconfield? The Hull Thursday 25 course went past it BITD.

Shaun

OP
OP
flyingfish59

flyingfish59

Hi Welcome :smile:. Slightly off topic but us there still an RAF base at Leconfield? The Hull Thursday 25 course went past it BITD.

Shaun
Leconfield has been for a long time now, the largest military driving school in Europe. There's still plenty of the old airfield buildings, etc, but it's run by the army. The CX course the other week used the 'off road' part of the driving school which featured some quite tasty hills - 1 in 3 gravel features! Short n sharp.

Spartak