What's been a backwards step in technology for you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I thought about this today as I gave away my old Windows phone (I use Whatsapp and it was no longer supported and stopped working on the Windows phone, so bought a new phone last year). Though I have to say my first thought when I thought about this was: cars. What with the increase in complexity (ooh, all electric windows, mirrors, computerization, heated seats, etc, etc), it could be argued using a matchbox to fix the points on an Austin Cambridge is a preferable option, though of course modern cars probably wouldn't have ignition problems in the first place.... No, I really think on the whole modern cars are much safer, better, more efficient, perform better and reliable (though if they go wrong, then that's the downside)

So I think my vote has to go for my Android phone -admittedly it's a Moto G6 and cheap, but in comparison to my old Windows phone (which incidentally was cheaper), I feel like I've taken a definite technological step backwards. I should add I'm not a power user of a phone and really only use it to check email, send texts, make a very occasional phone call and that's it*. But it's now almost a year on, and Bluetooth compatibility is more problematic, especially in a car, and the functionality compared to the old Windows phone in my car is not even close.

I really believe I'm no retrogrouch, but I will always ask: is this better? Does it do something in a better way? Is it more efficient? I also think a very valuable question to ask is "is it a change just for change's sake?" (i.e. does a company want to make more money out of you -as it happens I don't think that is the case for me with my phone, but I do think that happens an awful lot).

*I know so many people had a dreadful experience with Windows phone and I recognize that. All I can say is mine was great. Similarly, I have Avid Elixir brakes on my mountain bike which some people have claimed they've set fire to in their disgust, but again, I've found them fantastic for modulation, strength and reliability. Perhaps I'm just lucky?

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I was a fan of the Windows Phone. The OS was robust, simple and logical. Sadly, Even with Microsoft's might, it couldn't get the development for apps on the scale of Android and Apple.

The big thing of stepping back technologically in my mind is the retirement of concord. I know it was expensive and there were safety concerns, nothing that wasn't rectified in the early days of commercial flight, but no one was willing to build upon it, although something is in the pipework now i believe from Boeing. Mach 5 flight maybe in the next couple of decades...

In my opinion, i personally don't think we need a new phone device every year. It is quite telling when Apple purposely slowed down old devices in a blatant attempt to encourage people to buy newer models, despite them saying it was to preserve the life of the batteries. :rolleyes: I think there is a lot of this type of thing going on unfortunately in many tech industries. It doesn't fill me with encouragement that this will change when i see the queues outside of Apple stores upon release of a new iPhone... But who am i to tell people how to spend their hard earned cash...

One more thing that genuinely concerns me. Tech can easily become proprietary, so tamper proof. That is a good thing isn't it? Yes and no. For example, take a car. You don't want a fool who thinks he knows what he is doing messing about with critical systems, which could cause a big accident. But on the other hand, you might be forced to go to main dealers for repair, updates etc which then removes choice and puts you at the mercy of their prices. There are excellent mechanics out there who are cheaper, more trustworthy and more competent than main dealers but they don't want you to go anywhere else, they never have done but they have a way to lock that down now. So, im not sure that is a step forward for customers AKA the majority of people who drive.

classic33

Leg End Member
I've a Bluetooth headset for my Ericsson R310s, both bought in 2000.

I put function over fashion. I need to be able to use it(phone) whatever the weather outside. Where charging may not be available, so battery life does come into it as well.

I don't suffer "Helsinki Syndrome" with the phone either. It's there to do a job.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My old Samsung S4 mini's just been replaced for a new Google Pixel 3a phone after the 3 main apps I use stopped working for Android 4.

The apps function in the exact same way (so why the forced upgrade? :wacko:) and the phone holds charge a bit longer. But everything seems to take longer to do and is more complex. The old one just worked.

Maybe I'm getting old ... :blush:

Drago

Legendary Member
Smartphones.

Mobile phones, not a fan, but I understand some people dig being able to talk to other people wherever they may be.

But smartphones? If I want to use a computer ill sit at a computer with a proper screen, decent keyboard and decent processing power. None of my online needs are sompressing, urgent, or uncontrollably sad that they can't wait.

So I don't have one, don't feel the need, and don't feel im missing out.

I miss the lanyard loop ; when I drop a mobile phone I like to have some kind of toggle between my fingers. In exposed heights I like to have a wrist loop.
No one ever hung a mobile phone around their neck which is the argument that people use for removing this feature.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Planned obselesence in general. Also things like MS Office - it can be made so cheaply now that they've resorted to charging an annual fee for it's use (£52/year IIRC). SAying that, bluetooth things like headphones and car stereos, mine alwys work faultlessly. I've got BT headphones that work fine and were £15. I had a pair of Sony ones 8 years ago and they were £100, required a huge dock for pairing and charging, and never worked very well.

Smartphones.

Mobile phones, not a fan, but I understand some people dig being able to talk to other people wherever they may be.

But smartphones? If I want to use a computer ill sit at a computer with a proper screen, decent keyboard and decent processing power. None of my online needs are sompressing, urgent, or uncontrollably sad that they can't wait.

So I don't have one, don't feel the need, and don't feel im missing out.
I was a late adopter of smarphone but find it really useful. When I am out shopping I can get product info and prices, location etc. The map is quite useful. On holiday I can access all the info without overloading my luggage.

keithmac

Guru
Keyless entry on cars. You've now got to put a huge physical lock on the steering wheel to stop it from being stolen.

It genuinely seems like the manufacturers WANT their cars to be stolen. 30 seconds tops in, started and down the road..

mustang1

Guru
Just when you need to log into the computer, it's finishing off a windows update.
My bluetooth headphones work great, apart from the small number of times when they don't.
My phone plays music in the car most of the time, except when it doesn't. Or you get interrupted by a text message. Here comes the berat, it's getting quicker, it's the phantom of the crescendo is arriving!.... wait for it... wait for it... ting tong, you have a new text msg... WTH???
People writing the f work with asterisks like this f*** just so in case someone who doesn't know what that means, doesn't get offended by it, or even if you do know what it means, since you have asterisks, you still won't get offended by it.
My movie is playing over the wifi, but wait, I want to restart the movie again. Oh darn it now the voice and lip movement is out of sync. SOO ANNOYING.
Ok this lip sync is tooo annoying so I'll watch another movie instead. Now I have some error code 315.
Downloading movies for offline viewing and when you're on the airplane and want to watch your movie, it says it requires an internet connection for license purposes. GYGHGUIAGIUWRHHWR.
Why didn't you answer my phonecall? Oh, coz i had you on Block coz i was listening to bluetooth music in my car and forgot to re-enable you. Why? Meh, too many menus!
My TV which needs to be removed from wifi and re-connected. It took so long last time that I wrote down the steps. But now those steps do not work because the TV had a software update and the menu items are in a different location.
The scroll wheel on a laptop. The pages used to go up when I scrolled up, but now the pages go down when I scroll up.
punctuation
Automation: image a secnerio where you have to walk forward one step and this process needs to be automated. But before you move fwd that one step, you have to jump 3 times, turn around, do some squat jumps, move left twice, move right once, and eventually you move forward. All these things you have to do are various business processes which have been added throught the years and no one wants to streamline them because something might break. And that's the reason why that process needs to be automated, there's just too much crap to go through just to move forward one step.
While it's convenient to download movies, i rather enjoyed going to the dvd rental store and taking my time to select a movie.
Sorry, you opened a can of worms. :smile:
Oh yeah, touch screens in cars = useless.

Top Bottom