What's going on here then?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I've just seen a bike for sale on ebay were the freewheel is held on with a circlip. How could this have any effect? I'd have thought the freewheel would screw straight on to the axle.

Screenshot_2022-08-25_22-30-14.png

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
I've just seen a bike for sale on ebay were the freewheel is held on with a circlip. How could this have any effect? I'd have thought the freewheel would screw straight on to the axle.

View attachment 658698

Jubilee Clip (pedant alert) - bodge job...

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Is this a freehub? (as opposed to a freewheel)
Would it be possible to fit a freewheel instead?

Looking at the age it might take a threaded freewheel, unless the thread is stripped hence the jubilee clip. But either way it'd be a single speed one as there's nowhere for a rear derailleur that I can see.

The rear dropout also seems to have some sort of bodge. I wonder if it had a Sturmey Archer set-up previously?

Reactions: C R

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It looks like a free-hub (too wide for a threaded hub) with a single sprocket fitted. Obviously not the original hub.

DRM

Guru
Yes - the seller said they'd removed the hub gears. It's fairly local and bidding has stalled at a fiver so I might buy it.

Jump in quick before they add L’eroica and rare and vintage into the description and ask £500 for it

tyred

Legendary Member
Looks to me like someone has made a single speed using an old freehub (or possibly a Shimano type threaded freewheel body) by removing the unwanted sprockets and putting on what looks like Sturmey sprocket and putting on a Jubilee clip to keep it in place. It would work but won't win any beauty prizes.

Top Bottom