1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats happened there then?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by lifeson, 27 Jul 2007.

1. lifeson

lifeson New Member

I thought I would give my old bike a spin today, (a Decathlon Sport 2 with triple ring) just to see what it was like over one of my hilly training rides - Clent Hills if anybody knows it?

Anyway didnt seem as though Iwas going that hard or fast and gets back home, plugs the Garmin in to the PC and my time was only 30 secs slower than on my full carbon, ultegra race bike (trek Madonne 5.2) and I even took a wrong turn tonight which took more than 30 secs to correct anyway

Whats that all about then?????
    Couple of theories

1 I am super fit and can manage to ride the same pace regardless of the steed:tongue:

2 Full carbon bikes are a waste of money and don't make you any faster really :thumbsup:

3 A triple is quicker overall than a double :thumbsup: - didnt seem it though while I was riding

2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman New Member

Or the wind was behind you .........................................................
    Both ways :thumbsup:

3. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

Have you been in Mexico recently?

4. OP
    OP
    lifeson

lifeson New Member

Not me Honest guv

But I did shave my legs recently mmmmmmmmmm

5. the heavier bike has increased your downhill speed and momentum.

or you have had too much coffee

L

6. beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

I think we should wait for the 'B' sample result before speculating...

7. yenrod

yenrod Guest

NO, I seen him in Italy I swear ! ! ! :thumbsup:

8. twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive Clinging on tightly

Theory 1 - that's the reason.

(Post my fee to the usual address):thumbsup:

9. Gavin Gilbert

Gavin Gilbert New Member

I've noticed the same thing myself :thumbsup:

Commuting bike - 'nothing special' alloy, full mudguards, lights, triple, heavy CX33 rims, HUGE saddlebag hitched to the back. I can power this baby down The Embankment at 30mph, with a sprint down Blackfriars Tunnel almost hitting 40.

Race Bike - Altec2, carbon everything, Chorus. Same road, same rider and 1.5mph slower :thumbsup:

10. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

It's not about the bike...

11. Brock

Brock Senior Member

I think this might be the key. Taking the ride a bit steadier than normal, conserving energy for the hills and latter stages might have paid dividends to the overall time without you realising?

Not that I have any idea about racing, training and fitness etc, my bike is a vehicle not sports equipment. However I do find my commute appears to be just as quick on the days when I decide to take it easy and slow.

12. OP
    OP
    lifeson

lifeson New Member

13. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Careful...this is the slippery slope to becoming a TT'er :thumbsup::?:

14. chris42

chris42 New Member

is your computer accuate to each bike or do you use the same wheel settings?
    Even having the same tyres on different wheels can give different measurements?

15. OP
    OP
    lifeson

lifeson New Member

My computers gps so can use on any bike, and the run was over the same course