Whats happened there then?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I thought I would give my old bike a spin today, (a Decathlon Sport 2 with triple ring) just to see what it was like over one of my hilly training rides - Clent Hills if anybody knows it?

Anyway didnt seem as though Iwas going that hard or fast and gets back home, plugs the Garmin in to the PC and my time was only 30 secs slower than on my full carbon, ultegra race bike (trek Madonne 5.2) and I even took a wrong turn tonight which took more than 30 secs to correct anyway

Whats that all about then?????
Couple of theories

1 I am super fit and can manage to ride the same pace regardless of the steed:tongue:

2 Full carbon bikes are a waste of money and don't make you any faster really :thumbsup:

3 A triple is quicker overall than a double :thumbsup: - didnt seem it though while I was riding

Or the wind was behind you .........................................................
Both ways :thumbsup:

Gavin Gilbert

I've noticed the same thing myself :thumbsup:

Commuting bike - 'nothing special' alloy, full mudguards, lights, triple, heavy CX33 rims, HUGE saddlebag hitched to the back. I can power this baby down The Embankment at 30mph, with a sprint down Blackfriars Tunnel almost hitting 40.

Race Bike - Altec2, carbon everything, Chorus. Same road, same rider and 1.5mph slower :thumbsup:

Brock

lifeson said:
...Anyway didnt seem as though Iwas going that hard or fast...

I think this might be the key. Taking the ride a bit steadier than normal, conserving energy for the hills and latter stages might have paid dividends to the overall time without you realising?

Not that I have any idea about racing, training and fitness etc, my bike is a vehicle not sports equipment. However I do find my commute appears to be just as quick on the days when I decide to take it easy and slow.

OP
OP
lifeson

lifeson

Brock said:
I think this might be the key. Taking the ride a bit steadier than normal, conserving energy for the hills and latter stages might have paid dividends to the overall time without you realising?

QUOTE]

You may be right there
I compared the split times and all but the last 5 miles were quicker on the trek
I lost more than 3 minutes in the last 5 miles

I am going again today (hopefully) but on the 'light' bike in full race mode to see what I can do if I put my mind to it :thumbsup:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
lifeson;28708][QUOTE=Brock said:

QUOTE]

You may be right there
I compared the split times and all but the last 5 miles were quicker on the trek
I lost more than 3 minutes in the last 5 miles

I am going again today (hopefully) but on the 'light' bike in full race mode to see what I can do if I put my mind to it :thumbsup:

Careful...this is the slippery slope to becoming a TT'er :thumbsup::?:

chris42

is your computer accuate to each bike or do you use the same wheel settings?
Even having the same tyres on different wheels can give different measurements?

Top Bottom