What's happened to vegetables?

New fangled vegetables

• They're fantastic. The box we buy in Chelsea lasts a whole weekend.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • I only eat Turkey Twizzlers

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Gimme a gel sachet

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Yes, these modern vegetables are absolute shite.

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Back when I was in short trousers and dodging white dog poo on the pavement, vegetables were a simple and enjoyable affair. Cabbage, cauliflower, potatoes, spinach, sprouts, swedes.....even carrots. I'm sure there were more. I drew the line at broccoli however, and so did my mother. I still eat them all today but dose them with lots of pepper, butter and garlic.

Then, a few years ago, something went terribly wrong. All kinds of strange stuff with unpronounceable names started appearing. They were all supposed to be terribly good for you and would stave off cancer and heart disease. The problem is that they have all the culinary appeal of gnawing on tree bark.

Am I alone?

classic33

Leg End Member
Back when I was in short trousers and dodging white dog poo on the pavement, vegetables were a simple and enjoyable affair. Cabbage, cauliflower, potatoes, spinach, sprouts, swedes.....even carrots. I'm sure there were more. I drew the line at broccoli however, and so did my mother. I still eat them all today but dose them with lots of pepper, butter and garlic.

Then, a few years ago, something went terribly wrong. All kinds of strange stuff with unpronounceable names started appearing. They were all supposed to be terribly good for you and would stave off cancer and heart disease. The problem is that they have all the culinary appeal of gnawing on tree bark.

Am I alone?
Not yet!

It's the same stuff dressed up with fancy names. The "common" names deemed no longer good enough.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
20-of-the-Worlds-Weirdest-Natural-Foods-Fruits-Vegetables20__700.jpg

Soon to be available in a squirty bottle for your convenience.....

TVC

Some are good, some not. The one I can't get is Edemame beans, just marketing hype, a properly cooked broad bean is much nicer.

Last edited:
Soom are good, some not. The one I can't get is Edemame beans, just marketing hype, a properly cooked broad bean is much nicer.
Edamame - immature soya beans. Can't be eaten raw.

From a crop developed as a "rotation filler" to maintain soil fertlity - a fallow rest year. And that's where they should have stayed - ploughed back in to feed the soil. Brilliant for the job.

But oh no - the bean-counters and marketers "created" a "fashionable" food item so they'd make a profit from the "wasted space".

Can't think of any other vegetable I actively dislike, and won't eat.

The rest? Bring 'em on ^_^.

Top Bottom