What's happened to vegetables?

New fangled vegetables

• They're fantastic. The box we buy in Chelsea lasts a whole weekend.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • I only eat Turkey Twizzlers

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Gimme a gel sachet

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Yes, these modern vegetables are absolute shite.

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Kale is not food

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
One of my local street stalls was selling these t'other day:

9f2637ae7c6cbb84_bittermelons2.preview.jpg

I asked what they were. Karela I was told. What do you do with it, I asked. It's some kind of bitter vegetable, I was told. 'My Indian customers tell me it's an acquired taste...'

PK99

Legendary Member
I won't bother. I will just stick to old fashioned veggies, and i will even buy them from the market, covered in dirt, and oddly shaped. How outrageous an idea is that. You can keep your so called exotic ponsey stuff ^_^.

Peppers?
Courgette?
Tomatoes?
Potatoes?
Broad beans?
Bananas?

http://www.localhistories.org/vegetables.html

Best stick to the true british veg?
carrots,
parsnip,
cabbages,
peas,
beans
and onions.

But in fact most of those are actually introductions from elsewhere

D

Deleted member 26715

Romanesco - form of Cauliflower but with a flavour closer to calabrese.
I like these, they sometimes have them in at Morrisons at Doncaster but not seen them elsewhere, Can't comment on whether they taste like calabrese as I have no idea what that is

U

User482

Back when I was in short trousers and dodging white dog poo on the pavement, vegetables were a simple and enjoyable affair. Cabbage, cauliflower, potatoes, spinach, sprouts, swedes.....even carrots. I'm sure there were more. I drew the line at broccoli however, and so did my mother. I still eat them all today but dose them with lots of pepper, butter and garlic.

Then, a few years ago, something went terribly wrong. All kinds of strange stuff with unpronounceable names started appearing. They were all supposed to be terribly good for you and would stave off cancer and heart disease. The problem is that they have all the culinary appeal of gnawing on tree bark.

Am I alone?

ABE.png

View attachment 378274

Soon to be available in a squirty bottle for your convenience.....

I think I passed on of those from my kidney. It hurt a lot.

Top Bottom