What's happened to vegetables?

New fangled vegetables

• They're fantastic. The box we buy in Chelsea lasts a whole weekend.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • I only eat Turkey Twizzlers

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Gimme a gel sachet

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Yes, these modern vegetables are absolute shite.

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
None of the brassicas we eat are naturally occurring, all are selections over centuries:

upload_2017-10-12_18-6-54.png

and each of those has sub selections and crosses:

Different+Types+of+Broccoli.jpg

Last edited:
Should I just append this to every thread started by @slowmotion? This is at least the second time.

(repost) Douglas Adams

“I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.”

PK99

Legendary Member
Should I just append this to every thread started by @slowmotion? This is at least the second time.

(repost) Douglas Adams

1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.”

4. If you can't cope with #3 you are a boring old fart

Last edited:
OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful

(repost) Douglas Adams

Fair enough, but surely I was unreasonably provoked when asked to eat tatsoi? It's like chewing wet straw.

PK99

Legendary Member
Broccoli is dung, the dullard of the veg world. Gotta say it's difficult to get the kids to eat it with that kind of attitude.

Purple sprouting broccoli, steam gently and then stir fry with a touch of garlic, chilli flakes and pine nuts.

PK99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4996035, member: 259"]No no no. Purple sprouting broccoli needs a bit of butter and salt. None of that stir frying rubbish or chili flakes. It's still not as good as the first cavolo nero sprouts in the spring though.[/QUOTE]

I do tend to agree, I was trying to enthuse a brocciliophobe.

Colin_P

Guru
I think they are the same, it is us who have changed.

As a child I hated them, all of them but now I rather like them except fennel.

Top Bottom