What's happened to vegetables?

New fangled vegetables

• They're fantastic. The box we buy in Chelsea lasts a whole weekend.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • I only eat Turkey Twizzlers

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Gimme a gel sachet

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Yes, these modern vegetables are absolute shite.

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 4996098, member: 43827"]Especially if you eat too many vegetables.

I'm a great believer in eating the vegetables that are in season, and enjoy them a lot. Not other people's seasons but ours. I had lamb stew for the evening meal tonight with potatoes, leeks, carrots and onions - beautiful.

I do try keeping up with the latest vegetable fashions, but I feel there is a great deal of "emperor's new clothes" about them. A bit like modern bottled beers with hints of strawberries, peaches, garlic and Fishermens' Friend.[/QUOTE]
Spuds are still spuds, the same with Onions, cabbage, sprouts, dillisk, to name but a few.

The push of fashion foods has eased over recent years though. I mean where do "Baby Carrots" come from?

I don't know what you're buying as Cavolo Nero but black cabbage is sweeter, softer, tighter, darker and less curly than kale.
I buy seeds. It's a brassica and classified as kale but as with many things other names get used, ie black cabbage....from the RHS...
RHS June gardening advice: time to grow kale

Cavalo__Nero_di_To_3331019e.jpg

Cavalo 'Nero di Toscana'
Picture: Marianne Majerus

7:00AM BST 06 Jun 2015

Early June is the perfect time to sow kale from seed - here are some tips to make sure you get the perfect crop
Early June is an ideal time to start a crop of kale from seed – they should make reasonable-sized plants by the end of summer and will over winter.

Whatever its newfound status as a superfood, kale is an old-fashioned vegetable with a good deal of modern-day versatility. It can be relied upon to produce greens after even the harshest of winters.

vickster

Legendary Member
I just love brassicas full stop (although the sprout epiphany only occurred 3 or 4 Christmases ago).
I don't mind brocolli but it doesn't much like me :blush: affectionately known as the farty vegetable :blush:

U

User482

[QUOTE 4996315, member: 259"]kale's brill. It's almost indestructible. We grow cavolo nero and curly kale. The sprouts from cavolo nero in March and April are smashing.[/QUOTE]
What about caterpillars? I gave up on brassicas after all my efforts were savaged by cabbage whites, but I don't think I tried growing kale.

Top Bottom