What's happened to vegetables?

New fangled vegetables

• They're fantastic. The box we buy in Chelsea lasts a whole weekend.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • I only eat Turkey Twizzlers

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Gimme a gel sachet

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Yes, these modern vegetables are absolute shite.

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Kale is for sheep, not humans. As for aubergines and asparagus, if you've never had

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3091674/melanzane-parmigiana

you haven't lived.
Also who wants to live on a world with moussaka or baba ganoush?

Reactions: mjr

presta

Guru
I've never noticed a bad taste, but organic definitely taste better. Every now and then you get a really sweet one.
Perhaps it's just round here then. You couldn't fail to notice, it's a really powerful chemical taste at times, and leaves a feeling a bit like dry wine.

Perhaps it's just round here then. You couldn't fail to notice, it's a really powerful chemical taste at times, and leaves a feeling a bit like dry wine.
To be fair, dry white wines generally taste natural (beware of sweet wines and antifreeze), so tasting like a dry wine isn't proof of much except maybe fermentation.

(I have never noticed a pesticide or herbicide dimension in wine tasting)

presta

Guru
To be fair, dry white wines generally taste natural (beware of sweet wines and antifreeze), so tasting like a dry wine isn't proof of much except maybe fermentation.

(I have never noticed a pesticide or herbicide dimension in wine tasting)
I didn't mean it tastes like dry wine (it tastes of chemicals), but it feels dry like a dry wine.

classic33

Leg End Member
Herbicide dry tends to be lingering, with a need to drink more of something like plain tapwater.

Gets to those levels, it'd not be the only thing noticed.

No surprises - probably field grown; ie, with huge amounts of pesticide? Sadly (as above), the cleaner the carrot you buy, the more it will probably need peeling to avoid consuming the residue.

I only ever grew veg organically, so I don't remember off-hand where I read about farmers being allowed to use pesticides of a type, of a strength, and at a dosage deemed entirely too much for any other vegetable.

Yup ... carrot fly is a nasty pest. But the treatments are nastier still, I reckon.

classic33

Leg End Member
No surprises - probably field grown; ie, with huge amounts of pesticide? Sadly (as above), the cleaner the carrot you buy, the more it will probably need peeling to avoid consuming the residue.

I only ever grew veg organically, so I don't remember off-hand where I read about farmers being allowed to use pesticides of a type, of a strength, and at a dosage deemed entirely too much for any other vegetable.

Yup ... carrot fly is a nasty pest. But the treatments are nastier still, I reckon.
And that's part of the problem.

Everyone wants nice clean veg, all the same size & colour(for the same type), at a cheap price. Not really doable on a large scale, growing outside the plants natural cycle. Those growing their own will know there'll always be a difference in size & colour, and it's seldom clean(mud/muck) as in the shops.

That's the USA. Britain apparently has better labelling laws. Those guys are called mini carrots here. Those labelled baby carrots are clearly what they are.

LN_085888_BP_11.jpg

Top Bottom