What's happened to vegetables?

New fangled vegetables

• They're fantastic. The box we buy in Chelsea lasts a whole weekend.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • I only eat Turkey Twizzlers

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Gimme a gel sachet

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Yes, these modern vegetables are absolute shite.

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
What about caterpillars?.

very tasty!

PK99

Legendary Member
Are you sure? I thought it was all to do Daddy Carrots and Mummy Carrots who love each other very much.

article-2099721-11ADD767000005DC-464_634x822.jpg

U

User482

[QUOTE 4996508, member: 259"]You can still have problems with young plants especially. I use netting (I grow on raised beds so it's relatively easy to put up, but then it's a pain to weed).[/QUOTE]
Cheers. I tried netting the PSB but the feckers still managed to lay eggs on the leaves.

The ground.
Umm ... nope? :tongue:

It's hard to grow carrots to the standardised shapes and dimensions required by supermarkets in the ground, so most (I believe) are grown using hydroponics. Also, field crops of carrots require very large amounts of very unpleasant pesticides to protect against carrot fly ... strangely, the cleaner the carrot you buy, the more you should peel them. :sad:.

What about caterpillars? I gave up on brassicas after all my efforts were savaged by cabbage whites, but I don't think I tried growing kale.
Three suggestions?

- grow your brassicas under fleece, taking care the plants are covered right to ground level (no gaps/tears, please!);
- intersow a few Tagetes/French Marigolds - the scent is supposed to confuse the butterflies. Whether it works or not, I don't know ... but it looks good too :smile:;
- and as soon as you see the butterflies around, check very regularly for the eggs; usually underneath the leaves. AND CRUSH THEM :evil:.

And a wee hint for growing slug-free? Intersow summat like Little Gem lettuce. "My" slugs were fussy eaters, and headed first for the lettuce plants. And I knew just where to find them, to CRUSH THEM :evil:.

Three suggestions?

- grow your brassicas under fleece, taking care the plants are covered right to ground level (no gaps/tears, please!);
- intersow a few Tagetes/French Marigolds - the scent is supposed to confuse the butterflies. Whether it works or not, I don't know ... but it looks good too :smile:;
- and as soon as you see the butterflies around, check very regularly for the eggs; usually underneath the leaves. AND CRUSH THEM :evil:.

And a wee hint for growing slug-free? Intersow summat like Little Gem lettuce. "My" slugs were fussy eaters, and headed first for the lettuce plants. And I knew just where to find them, to CRUSH THEM :evil:.
Slugs I leave to the snufflepigs and thrushes. Apart from the greenhouse they don't cause me a problem. Caterpillars I just move.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
What about caterpillars? I gave up on brassicas after all my efforts were savaged by cabbage whites, but I don't think I tried growing kale.

We grow on raised beds and grow under netting for as long as possible. Once the netting has to be removed I inspect the leaves on a regular basis for eggs or caterpillars. We grow two rows of four plants per type so this is a ten minute job. Electrical conduit with a bamboo cane in each end bends to make a hoop up to three feet high.

Always check again in the kitchen before cooking.

I’ve found Cavolo to be much less attractive to cabbage white than other brassicas. In late summer I had Cavolo, Curly Kale and purple sprouting in adjacent rows and the purple sprouting, newly planted under netting, had butterflies dancing all round it while they ignored the other two unnetted crops. Could be the younger foliage was more attractive to cabbage whites.

Cavolo is a doddle to grow and hugely expensive in supermarkets. This is either profiteering from a fad or because it is difficult to harvest commercially.

This year I grew all my brassicas in 13cm deep pots before planting out mature plants. Losses to slugs were zero, first time I can recall. I’m going to apply this technique to everything I can in 2018. I think looking after one cold frame type structure (yet to be built but I’ve just been given four railway sleepers) will be much simpler than tending lots of young plants in beds.

Establishment and growing on of these plants was very good. For next year I’m hoping it will mean I get larger, actively growing plants established on the allotment immediately after the last frosts.

Last edited:

Sandra6

Veteran
When I was a child vegetables were generally boiled within an inch of their life and served mushy often with added water. Pushing them around the plate until they were cold did nothing to improve their flavour, nor did having to sit staring at them for an hour, or until I plucked up the courage to hide them in the bin and lie about it.
Nowadays I serve them al dente, or raw, often steamed, and I've never had to fight to get a child to eat them.
I'm oblivious to most new fangled vegetables if I'm honest, I don't like "middle class" veg like aubergines and asparagus either, but I'm quite partial to kale, especially the curly variety. It tastes like cabbage but you don't have to chop it. I was a bit ahead of the game with that one though, we've been eating it since the late 90's

Top Bottom