What's in your backpack/pannier?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NigC

I'm fully expecting to have to buy a new backpack after this thread has run it's course :tongue:

So what do you carry with you?

I carry a couple of spare inner tubes, puncture repair kit, waterproofs, lights (when I'm not using them) and a crap pump! That's about it, so what am I missing?

martint235

Dog on a bike
In my rucksack is a shirt, trousers and underwear; my wallet; cufflinks, tiepin etc; mobile phone and travel card. I also have a saddle bag thing that contains two inner tubes, tyre levers and some allen keys. Got a pump attached to the frame of the bike.

I think that's about it

For commuting on the fixed ...

On the frame: pump, water bidon

In the saddle pack: Multi-Tool, Adjustable spanner, spare tube, p*nct*re kit, tyre levers, zip ties, spare section (2-3 links) of 1/8" chain, 2 snap links for 1/8" chain, tissues, 2 pairs nitrile gloves, keys , mobile, money pouch, security pass, lunch box, reading glasses, shirt, pants, socks

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Inner tube
Repair kit
Spoke key
Multi-holed spanner
Spare chain links with powerlink
Tyre levers
Multitool (with tyre levers, screwdrivers, chain tool, Allen Keys)
Zip ties
Latex gloves - for roadside repairs
3 carrier bags - to cover the saddle & bar ends in case I have to put bike upside down on pavement to work on it
Mini Pump (on frame)
Hooded waterproof
Hi Viz vest in case it's overcast/raining/dark.
£3 bus/train fare - in case something serious happens and I can't get the bike fixed roadside and I'm too far to walk home.

I commute 24 miles a day, 365 days a year so I like to be prepared for all eventualities.

At work, I have a bottle of lube and wet wipes in case it rains on the way in. I'll clean and re-lube at lunchtime to ensure the ride home is smooth.

OP
OP
N

NigC

I used to keep the pump on the frame, but found it a pain to keep removing it (and the lights) whenever I stopped at the shops. So now I just leave it in the backpack. The pump holder makes a useful holder for an umbrella when it's raining and my wife has forgotten to send our daughter to school with her waterproof. Note to self: Buy a small retractable umbrella that can fit in backpack

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I've come to enjoy the freedom of not wearing my rucksack in the warmer, brighter days. Winter is a different story as I carry night wear (nice pair of pj's!!...no, a big bright jacket) overshoes seperate gloves etc

During the summer I use the under saddle "eastpeak" baggy thing
In it, I manage to fit:
  • House Keys
  • Office Keys
  • Blackberry
  • Wallett
  • Spare cash (roll of coins)
  • Spare tube
  • Repair kit
  • and a waterproof over cover for the lot
In addition, My bike carries the pump (a good "clip on valve type"), 3 lights and two cages for water bottles. I am thinking of useing one cage (as i never take two bottles on a commute, thats for days out with the kids) to carry the above as I dont like it hanging under my seat...potentially blocking my rear light.

Each Monday I take the loud bike in a drop off/remove shirts and underwear (all folded in the top box) for the week.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Moodyman said:
Inner tube
Repair kit
Spoke key
Multi-holed spanner
Spare chain links with powerlink
Tyre levers
Multitool (with tyre levers, screwdrivers, chain tool, Allen Keys)
Zip ties
Latex gloves - for roadside repairs
3 carrier bags - to cover the saddle & bar ends in case I have to put bike upside down on pavement to work on it
Mini Pump (on frame)
Hooded waterproof
Hi Viz vest in case it's overcast/raining/dark.
£3 bus/train fare - in case something serious happens and I can't get the bike fixed roadside and I'm too far to walk home.

I commute 24 miles a day, 365 days a year so I like to be prepared for all eventualities.

At work, I have a bottle of lube and wet wipes in case it rains on the way in. I'll clean and re-lube at lunchtime to ensure the ride home is smooth.

How big is your backpack!!!!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
NigC said:
The pump holder makes a useful holder for an umbrella when it's raining

wow, you cycle with an umbrella...now that i have to see.

have you considered buying a rainproof jacket. they are quite cool looking and you can keep both hands on the bars in the rain

Sailorchick

Not a lot today as brought everything in on Monday so I could ride the good bike yesterday.

Normally -
Clothes for the day
Towel
Toiletries
Tools
Puncture repair kit and tube
Spare lights and batteries.

OP
OP
N

NigC

jonny jeez said:
wow, you cycle with an umbrella...now that i have to see.

have you considered buying a rainproof jacket. they are quite cool looking and you can keep both hands on the bars in the rain

:tongue::biggrin::biggrin: I only need it for when I'm on the mobile :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

It's rare - my wife works in the same office as me, but her working times are different. She drops the little-one at school and I collect her. It's a three-quarter mile walk home from school and when it's raining heavily, I take an umbrella from the car before leaving the office and strap it to the bike for the little-one's walk home).

Matthames

Über Member
I usually have:
Panniers:
Trousers
T-Shirt
For the time being a jacket incase I get cold
Washbag
Lunch
Notebook for times
Pump
Fairy visit kit
Spare tube
Screwdriver
Allen Key
Spoke key
Chain tool
Wallet
Travel Pass
Glasses case
Blackberry
Keys
Inhaler
Spare hearing aid batteries

Bike:
Lock tied to the rack
Water bottle

Gains

Hmmm im liking the umbrella idea, maybe you could fashion it into some sort of sail to speed up commutes too? :tongue:

Iv got a little dhb backpack with:
2 tubes + tyre levers
Multi-tool
Pump
Keys + wallet + watch + work pass
Bike lock
Lunch box + random bananas/apple
Hi-Viz waterproof thing in the side pouch

On the frame iv just got a bottle and the computer jobby + lights.

Maybe one day ill put the saddle bag on to save the backpack zip from exploding.

Fortunately i do some running on wednesdays so have to drive in then and I resupply my work clothes stash then so i dont need to cram extra stuff on top of that!

OP
OP
N

NigC

Gains said:
Hmmm im liking the umbrella idea, maybe you could fashion it into some sort of sail to speed up commutes too? :biggrin:

:biggrin: I'm no sailor, but given that cyclists always have to cycle into the wind (why :tongue:), doesn't that mean constantly veering across the roads? :biggrin:

Top Bottom