What's in your backpack/pannier?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jaguar

I don't use a backpack (because I have a bad back), this is what's in my pannier this morning:

- black binliners, rubber gloves
- patio weeder, secateurs, one seed potato
- lots of crumbs
- sunglasses, bike clips, a pen

no bike tools of any description

Shall I do my handbag next?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm a lady ... so what else would you expect other than the kitchen sink...

A quick look finds:
purse
D lock
notepad
stickers
work folder/books
waterproof trousers
pump
gloves
flask
fleece - it was cold yesterday ... so I put it in as an emergency back up
first aid kit
warm hat - I could probably take that out now
sunscreen
a ride leaflet that I was given a week ago
sunglasses
more gloves
tissues
Var tyre lever and soma ones
Pens, pens and more pens ... I can never find one when I want cos of all the other junk
Lipsalve
Chocy bar emergency rations
Memory stick
Nail file
Repair kit - opps - just found a second one in there
2 phones
Another note pad
2 things for undoing nuts
Spare Allen keys - good set usually live in a pocket.
Lunch box

Then obviously other stuff gets chucked in on top ... last night I had my Orlieb pannier full to the very top of shopping, with the loaf of bread resting precariously on top ... I cycled slowly home having to repeatedly check it was there after each bump or corner.

And if it was winter there would other things ... like those handwarmer things, more spare layers and usually several lights chucked in and then lost.

As you can see I have an extremely empty light bag (well in my dreams I do:biggrin:).

OP
OP
N

NigC

summerdays said:
I'm a lady ... so what else would you expect other than the kitchen sink...

A quick look finds:
purse
D lock
notepad
stickers
work folder/books
waterproof trousers
pump
gloves
flask
fleece - it was cold yesterday ... so I put it in as an emergency back up
first aid kit
warm hat - I could probably take that out now
sunscreen
a ride leaflet that I was given a week ago
sunglasses
more gloves
tissues
Var tyre lever and soma ones
Pens, pens and more pens ... I can never find one when I want cos of all the other junk
Lipsalve
Chocy bar emergency rations
Memory stick
Nail file
Repair kit - opps - just found a second one in there
2 phones
Another note pad
2 things for undoing nuts
Spare Allen keys - good set usually live in a pocket.
Lunch box

Then obviously other stuff gets chucked in on top ... last night I had my Orlieb pannier full to the very top of shopping, with the loaf of bread resting precariously on top ... I cycled slowly home having to repeatedly check it was there after each bump or corner.

And if it was winter there would other things ... like those handwarmer things, more spare layers and usually several lights chucked in and then lost.

As you can see I have an extremely empty light bag (well in my dreams I do:biggrin:).

Have you ever considered a trailer? :evil::wacko:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Its occurred to me...from reading the replies to this thread that I must be very lucky as I have many facilities at work that others manage to ride in without!

FIRST, there are those who talking of carrying clothes, wash goods, cleaning products. etc. This would suggest that they dont have clothes or changing/storage facilities at work. All the more respect to them for riding in, I say

THEN, there are those who carry cosmetics, jewelry and beauty products, this would suggest that there are no secure/private store areas at work. All the more respect for them for riding in and taking the time and effort to look buff when they arrive, I say

LASTLY there are those who talk of carrying all manner of stationery, pens, notepads, Stickers, Leaflets, more pens and more notepads.

To them I say

"Get a Desk!"

:evil:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
What if you need those things whilst you are not at your desk?;)

By the way ... my packing for going on holiday is rather similar ... must pack assuming all eventualities.

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
I spread my kit out, with some of it kept at work.....

Pannier one:
P*ncture repair kit
Spare tube
Tyre levers
Allen keys
Mini pump
Waterproof yellow jacket
Spare socks
Bungee cord

Pannier two:
Trousers/skirt
T-shirt/top
Normal bra
Spare pants (no mudguards ;))
'The kit' (moisturiser, deodorant, heat rub for knees and facial wipes)

At work but mine:
Towel (taken home for washing fairly infrequently)
Shampoo
Bike cleaning stuff (I clean Reg in the car park as I have nowhere to do it at home)

Provided by work:
Track pump
P*ncture repair kits
Basic tool set

OP
OP
N

NigC

Wheeledweenie said:
Provided by work:
Track pump
P*ncture repair kits
Basic tool set

Wow - I guess you must have a lot of cyclists for the company to provide these ;)

I just bought a track pump from Aldi yesterday specifically to keep at work :thumbsup:

C

chillyuk

I have just looked in my pannier:

Take tools and puncture outfit as read in an undersaddle pod.

In my panniers I have a hi vis waterproof coat, one of the Karimoor running coats, a small first aid kit, a big wad of toilet paper in a plastic bag (well, have you ever been took desperately short in the countryside!), a local OS map and a rag to wipe my hands if I have to get them greasy. Other things go in as I need them, for example if I go on a long ride I will take sarnies and a flask, and sometimes some jogging bottoms in case I need to walk home or use public transport. I also carry a wallet with my ID and my bus pass because I am always optimistic, some cash and my mobile phone.

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
NigC said:
Wow - I guess you must have a lot of cyclists for the company to provide these :thumbsup:

We do, it's a large company but I set up a cycle network with a couple of friends and when we registered more than 70 cyclists within a week the company took action. We got a TfL grant and got new racks, lockers and a couple more showers. The company also bought swanky track pumps, repair kits and small tool kits for each of the sites.

I'm permitted from on high to wash my bike in the car park whenever I want and they're getting us some cleaning kit because we found I wasn't the only person with no outdoor space at home.

We're very spoilt. ;)

OP
OP
N

NigC

Wheeledweenie said:
We do, it's a large company but I set up a cycle network with a couple of friends and when we registered more than 70 cyclists within a week the company took action. We got a TfL grant and got new racks, lockers and a couple more showers. The company also bought swanky track pumps, repair kits and small tool kits for each of the sites.

I'm permitted from on high to wash my bike in the car park whenever I want and they're getting us some cleaning kit because we found I wasn't the only person with no outdoor space at home.

We're very spoilt. ;)

Vacancies????

brokenbetty

Über Member
jonny jeez said:
Its occurred to me...from reading the replies to this thread that I must be very lucky as I have many facilities at work that others manage to ride in without!

I could keep most of the stuff I carry at work, but I prefer not having to trog upstairs to collect my washing kit. I also like to use a clean towel every day.

At work I keep a handbag, posh shoes and my suit jacket, for which I have 5 identical matching washable skirts :wacko:

I have all my handbag stuff in a little liner thing that's like the guts of an organsier handbag without the outside so I can just drop it into the bag at work.

D

Deleted member 1258

It sounds like you lot could go at least ten miles an hour faster if you didn't carry so much stuff:laugh:
On the Sunday runs a small saddle bag with a spare inner tube, a tool kit, my glasses and my mobile phone, the waterproof, lock and wallet go in my jacket pocket, pumps carried on the frame.
Commuting I have the small saddle bag with the tool kit and spare inner tube. I also have a bag strapped to the rear carrier, the bag contains waterproofs, sarnie box, mobile phone, my glasses and lock, pumps carried on the frame.

Top Bottom