What's so great about presta valves?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I’m a stickler for diacritics and always make sure to include them where appropriate. I had assumed it was Schräder but before posting looked it up and was surprised to find no umlaut, but that’s how it is.

However, I never knew "schrader" was trademarked and spelled without the umlaut, so I have learned something new today and will henceforth correct my spelling!
Isn't CycleChat brilliant?! I know know a lot more diacritics and diacriticism ;) in general after today's exploration.
And tittles and rings (as in the albeit short Ångstrøm). And. And.
While we're (not) on umlauts, watch that two dot urchin: it might be a diaeresis, as in naïve, or a trema, as in the French ambiguë, rather than an umlaut.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
In Finnish Ä and Ö are considered to be separate letters, rather than accented versions of A and O. So if you're looking up a word beginning Ä in a Finnish dictionary, say äiti (mother), you will find it in the Ä section, which is at the back of the dictionary after Z, not among the As at the front.

So the dots (pilkut - which confusingly also means "commas") in that case are not an umlaut, a diaresis or a trema. They're just part of the letter.

So Ä is not A-with-dots, it's just Ä. This makes it difficult for a learner to ask for spelling. If your tin ear can't tell the difference between Ä and A you can't ask "is that A with dots?" because it isn't A at all. It's Ä - a totally different thing, you idiot. To my ear the difference between O and Ö is easy, but I struggle with Ä and A.

Last edited:
The only reason to use Presta is if your rims are too narrow for anything better. The only reasons to use Schrader are if you run out of Woods tubes, or you're some sort of masochist, or you've lost the adapter from your puncture kit and only have a car tyre pump available.

On the other hand, I've still not had a Schrader or Presta try to fire itself across the room, which happens occasionally with the Woods/German valves I've dealt with.

(Mind you on past experience this will now happen tomorrow. If it does I'm blaming @mjr .)

geocycle

Legendary Member
Speaking Finnish always ends well….

Its a pretty difficult language, all I remember was that a cash point sounded like ‘pinky panki‘ and electricity transformer was something like ‘moomin papa‘! Great country though.

Top Bottom