What's so great about presta valves?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

I've used schrader valves all my life, at least since I was old enough to pump up my own bike tyres. When I gave up cycling for 30 years I used them pumping up my car tyres. They're simple, reliable, robust and cheap. They're a universal standard. They're also easy to use whether your pump end screws on or just squeezes around it. Almost idiot proof. Every bike I've had has had schraders and they've been fine.

So why in the name of sanity are presta valves so common? I don't get it. They're fiddly and delicate, and seem to me to offer no advantages over schraders.

The semi rant is because my new road bike of course has prestas, so I now have to faff around to see if my mini pump will work with them. And practice pumping them up otherwise I'll be seriously embarrassed if I get a puncture.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Schrader are indeed more robust. But are not suitable for higher pressures that road bikes often run at.

Presta are better for 100+psi.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Hmm I'm not sure that's valid. Aircraft tyres are 200psi and they use schraders. It might be that the ones you buy for bicycles aren't capable of that but the valve format isn't incompatible with high pressure. Sounds like "received wisdom" to me.

Don’t take my word for it. The www is full of the technical comparisons between the two valves.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I'm not convinced either one is particularly better technically, but no-one needs a new valve standard so presta seems marginally better in terms of shape and size of the valve, and they look nicer (after all, aesthetics are almost as important as technical aspects in road cycling) and it would be hugely disruptive to change now, and how much do 110cm long schrader valves weigh! ;)

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
I definitely prefer Schrader valves. Unless you have super-skinny rims I can't think of a single reason for using Presta. As pointed out above, Schrader are used in plenty of high pressure situations.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Presta is used for tubeless set up's because you can remove the valve core easily and then use an air tank to seat the tire onto the bead.

It also means you can easily inject sealant in there as well and if necessary, you can easily remove the core completely to clean the valve out.

I've not really had any bother with Presta valves and really like them.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
'Every bike I've had has had schraders and they've been fine'
Odd - every bike I've owned over the last 65 years has had Presta valves - I think they've always been the standard for road bikes.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Presta is used for tubeless set up's because you can remove the valve core easily and then use an air tank to seat the tire onto the bead.

It also means you can easily inject sealant in there as well and if necessary, you can easily remove the core completely to clean the valve out.

I've not really had any bother with Presta valves and really like them.

The core comes out of Schraeders too, and the hole's bigger.

I've no great preference either way, and not used tubeless bike tyres, so not saying one or other is better

Top Bottom