What's so great about presta valves?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Presta just has the edge over Schrader for me.

With Presta, it's easy to suck the air our of a tube so that it packs away neatly. This isn't so easy with Schrader - especially if you haven't got a valve core removal tool with you.

A minor detail, admittedly!

My approach to that is to start rolling the tube up from a point opposite the valve. This will push all the air down to the valve. Periodically, when the not-yet-rolled section gets full enough, press the valve (either type of valve is as easy as the other) to let the air out and keep rolling. Eventually you have a rolled up tube with (almost) no air in it. No sucking required.

Presta is more expensive, has 3 parts and requires 2 separate actions to inflate the tyre. It also slimmer, more delicate and fragile adding to the feelings of sophistication and sexiness.

Schrader has none of the above and anyone can operate it.

Presta adds to my sense of self importance of who I am as a suave, sophisticated individual who has the requisite skills to use the presta.

The reason Schrader is present in cars and jet planes is that there are so many other complex and sophisticated parts such as the engines and controls that no one cares to look at the tyres.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dadam

A jumbo jet tyre is about 260 times the volume of a bike tyre, so for any given leak rate it'll take 260 times longer to go flat.

I don't see the relevance. The aircraft point was just that schrader valves can take more pressure than needed for bike tyres.

The only source I found yet for any pressure limit of schrader valves was one particular seller of valve schrader valve cores which it said were rated to 200psi. I doubt those were aerospace spec but these were mass market car/bike/wheelbarrow

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Never had a problem with Presta myself.. apart from Continental tubes where the core has shot out at a gazzilion miles an hour when accidently unscrewed :wacko: Problem solved - never buy Continental tubes.
Or tighten the valves before use (since doing that I've never had a problem). ;)

On my everyday bike I got a new wheel with presta sized hole. I reamed it out with a drill bit for Shraeder , there was enough rim width for plenty of strength. Some of the fashionably skinny rims of old would be compromised by such a big hole.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I find it odd that people find Prestas "fragile". I'm completely ham-fisted and I've never damaged one. I wonder how many people actually have? They're completely robust. I've never damaged a schrader either and plenty of both have passed through my mechanically incompetent hands.

It's testament to the disputatious nature of Cyclechat that this thread has revealed that there actually is an anti-Presta movement of people with strong opinions about valves. There doesn't seem to be a balancing anti-Schrader swell of opinion, which is disappointing. But give it time.

Coming soon - a furious row about different types of spoke nipple. (Are there different types? I'm sure there must be)

Ajax Bay

Guru
I find it odd that people find Prestas "fragile". I'm completely ham-fisted and I've never damaged one. I wonder how many people actually have? They're completely robust. I've never damaged a schrader either and plenty of both have passed through my mechanically incompetent hands. It's testament to the disputatious nature of Cyclechat that this thread has revealed that there actually is an anti-Presta movement of people with strong opinions about valves. There doesn't seem to be a balancing anti-Schrader swell of opinion, which is disappointing. But give it time.
You must just try harder. The little threaded 'pin' on which the tiny knurled nut is threaded in a Presta valve is easy to bend (have a go on an unrepairable tube!) Having said that the valve stays functional unless 'really' bent ime. Noone is bending a Schrader valve.
As for anti-Schrader or anti-Presta you need to visit NACA more often where people go to argue. I'm pro both.

OP
OP
D

Dadam

It's testament to the disputatious nature of Cyclechat that this thread has revealed that there actually is an anti-Presta movement of people with strong opinions about valves. There doesn't seem to be a balancing anti-Schrader swell of opinion, which is disappointing. But give it time.
Sorry, I was bored.
And having my first road bike I actually surprised myself at the level of annoyance experienced at now having to deal with presta valves.

So, part genuine curiosity about the benefit, perceived or otherwise, and part mini-rant.

OP
OP
D

Dadam

It's testament to the disputatious nature of Cyclechat the internet that this thread has revealed that there actually is an anti-Presta movement of people with strong opinions about valves. There doesn't seem to be a balancing anti-Schrader swell of opinion, which is disappointing. But give it time.
Fixed that for you.

Actually in your last sentence I think you have inspired me to come up with the ultimate solution. Dual valves! Yes! Presta one side and schrader the other, diametrically opposite. Brought the wrong pump? No problem, we got you covered. Now they're in balance too. No more gluing lead weights opposide the valve (oh that's car wheels sorry).

Alex321

Veteran
I find it odd that people find Prestas "fragile". I'm completely ham-fisted and I've never damaged one. I wonder how many people actually have? They're completely robust. I've never damaged a schrader either and plenty of both have passed through my mechanically incompetent hands.

Coming soon - a furious row about different types of spoke nipple. (Are there different types? I'm sure there must be)

I've bent the pin on presta valves, a couple of times.

I don't have any strong preference for which type of valve, having used both Presta and Schraeder (never used Woods).

faster

Über Member
My approach to that is to start rolling the tube up from a point opposite the valve. This will push all the air down to the valve. Periodically, when the not-yet-rolled section gets full enough, press the valve (either type of valve is as easy as the other) to let the air out and keep rolling. Eventually you have a rolled up tube with (almost) no air in it. No sucking required.
You make it sound so easy! In my experience it's anything but.

press the valve (either type of valve is as easy as the other)

Err, no it isn't! I can easily press a Presta valve with my tongue. With Schrader, you're at the mercy of manufacturing tolerances, as I've had some where the valve core is slightly deeper in the stem.

I'd say the difficulty ranges from really fiddly to completely impossible without something pointy.

Top Bottom