What's so great about presta valves?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Dadam

I'd say the difficulty ranges from really fiddly to completely impossible without something pointy.

Do you have no fingernails? I keep my nails short and I've never known a schrader valve I couldn't press the stem of with the nail of, at worst, the little finger.

faster

Über Member
Do you have no fingernails? I keep my nails short and I've never known a schrader valve I couldn't press the stem of with the nail of, at worst, the little finger.

Of course I have fingernails.

Despite this, It's difficult to get the valve open enough to squeeze all of the air out of it.

I have had inner tubes where I've barely been able to reach the valve core with fingers nails only, as it's been lower than the surrounding stem.

With Presta, I can pack up an inner tube to the same size as a brand new one in no time by sucking the remaining air out.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Blimey! Tongues! Suction! I wouldn't be keen to put my lips near any tyre valve, Woods, Schrader or Presta bearing the amount of squelching mud and cowsh that I come across on my meanderings. I just let what air out that I can and sling the tube in my cavernous bike bag, if I've got a spare to fit, or just fix the original. If I patch a tube at home it's easy enough to use a small screwdriver if your nails aren't up to pressing the pin on a Schrader valve, and roll it bit by bit until it's small enough to put a rubber band round it, similarly to a Presta one.

I have to agree with @Arrowfoot that the Presta valve is prettier and more stylish than the plain rubbery tubular thing that is the Schrader valve. When I used to ride motorbikes with spoked wheels the Schrader valves on the tubes used to be threaded metal which looked better but I can't recall seeing such a one on a bicycle in recent years, if ever.

freiston

Veteran
Over the years with various bikes, I've had quite a few leaky Schrader valves but never had a leaky Presta valve, even when I've bent the core pin a bit. For that reason alone, I prefer Presta valves.

OP
OP
D

Dadam

Of course I have fingernails.

Despite this, It's difficult to get the valve open enough to squeeze all of the air out of it.

I have had inner tubes where I've barely been able to reach the valve core with fingers nails only, as it's been lower than the surrounding stem.

With Presta, I can pack up an inner tube to the same size as a brand new one in no time by sucking the remaining air out.

Well ok I'll give you that one then. But it's still a very minor advantage.

Can't you just partially attach your pump so it doesn't seal?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Err, no it isn't! I can easily press a Presta valve with my tongue. With Schrader, you're at the mercy of manufacturing tolerances, as I've had some where the valve core is slightly deeper in the stem.

With your tongue? I press the valve with my finger (marginally easier with a presta valve, but perfectly doable with a Schrader) but if you want to use your tongue - go ahead ^_^

a.twiddler

Veteran
Over the years with various bikes, I've had quite a few leaky Schrader valves but never had a leaky Presta valve, even when I've bent the core pin a bit. For that reason alone, I prefer Presta valves.

You can buy Schrader valve cores, you know. They used to cost peanuts.

the snail

Guru
Never had a problem with Presta myself.. apart from Continental tubes where the core has shot out at a gazzilion miles an hour when accidently unscrewed :wacko: Problem solved - never buy Continental tubes.
er... so you have had a problem with presta then :rolleyes:

notmyrealnamebutclose

Prefer schraders on my hybrid, don't think presta would look right on it. Been helping a mate out who struggles
with repairing punctures, his bikes have prestas which take an age to inflate with my mini pump, well they used
to but now have an adapter I use on his prestas which allows much faster inflation

freiston

Veteran
You can buy Schrader valve cores, you know. They used to cost peanuts.

No need to buy them when I can use Presta valves and not have to buy any type of valve core - no extra cost is cheaper than peanuts, no special tool required and no hassle of a leaking valve or fixing a leaking valve.

As before, I have had personal experience of leaky Schrader valves but have had no personal experience of leaky Presta valves. Most of my cycling has been done with Presta valves, then Schrader valves and also Woods valves many years ago. I currently have two bikes - a tourer with Presta and a folder with Schrader. Those Schrader valves haven't leaked and I have two spare tubes, also Schrader. If ever I get to the point where I need to replace one of the four, I will probably go Presta. If one of the Schrader tubes develops a leaky valve, I will probably replace it with a Presta too rather than replace the core and risk it happening again. I don't foresee me needing to replace one for many years except if one develops a leaky valve or perishes.

Tom B

Guru
I use the Project 76 ones and they've very good, in the sense of working nicely and not a hint of clogging over time. Plus, they do look very pretty :-)

£49 for valves....... I'd want them to fit the tyre, self inflate and brew up...and still need therapy and to lie in a dark room! I can buy almost 40 inner tubes and vales for that.

On my everyday bike I got a new wheel with presta sized hole. I reamed it out with a drill bit for Shraeder , there was enough rim width for plenty of strength. Some of the fashionably skinny rims of old would be compromised by such a big hole.

I've done that for quite a few rims.

I've also run Schrader valve tubes at approaching 100psi.

My issue with presta is that they end up too tight to open. Even tightened up finger tight on a warm dry day after a few months in the freezing cold salty weather they don't want to open, then something snaps when you but a tool to them. Best hope is a kettle full of hot water. Never had that faff even with capless Schrader.

Top Bottom