What's so great about presta valves?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
The only problem I've had with presta valves occasionally is that if you unscrew the nut all the way, it can bottom out in the hose connector and let the air out when you put the hose on. Unscrewing the nut part way, the hose connector brushes against it as you screw the hose on, and tightens it back up again. On those occasions I crimp the threads slightly, to provide a bit of friction.

Petrichorwheels

Presta are easy to use, it’s not complicated.

absolutely everything to do with modern bicycles can be made complicated mr ming if folks so choose - and many do :smile:
(NB - not dissing the original question - kinda interesting)

Ajax Bay

Guru
Presta are easy to use, it’s not complicated.
But the point the OP is making is that Schrader valves are, for the user, even less complicated.
Schrader valves cause more drag and are length for length, heavier (edit) and increased wheel imbalance (citation).
As well as needing a hole 1mm greater in diameter in the rim, the interface on the tube is larger too. This results in yet more weight.
Schrader innards (for @chriswoody) You can get some caps that have a removal tool 'built in'.
1669984689671.png

1669989763711.png

Last edited:
A slight tangent ... Two manufacturers who think the Presta valve is not so great and have created non-Schrader alternatives which feature considerably higher air flow rates, specifically for tubeless usage:
Project 76 tubeless valve
Reserve Wheels tubeless valve
I use the Project 76 ones and they've very good, in the sense of working nicely and not a hint of clogging over time. Plus, they do look very pretty :-)

faster

Über Member
Presta just has the edge over Schrader for me.

With Presta, it's easy to suck the air our of a tube so that it packs away neatly. This isn't so easy with Schrader - especially if you haven't got a valve core removal tool with you.

A minor detail, admittedly!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
But the point the OP is making is that Schrader valves are, for the user, even less complicated.
Schrader valves cause more drag and are length for length, heavier (citation required).
As well as needing a hole 1mm greater in diameter in the rim, the interface on the tube is larger too. This results in yet more weight.
Schrader innards (for @chriswoody) You can get some caps that have a removal tool 'built in'.
View attachment 669809

More complicated but not complicated.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I was wondering wether they did or not, is it not a bit fiddly? I'll have to dig out an old Schrader inner tube and have a look.

There's a little tool you need. If you have a mechanical slidy rod car pressure gauge, they usually have the little tool screwed into the end of the slidy bit. Looks like this

52A8E6D4-C3E9-4DE3-BF77-A19255667D39.jpeg

Last edited:

a.twiddler

Veteran
Indeed. If you want a valve with an easily removable core, how about Woods valves? Much easier than Schrader, though I've had no problem with those either. Some Schrader valve caps come with a protrusion and notch so you can change a valve core with it. It seems that if you want to be considered a serious cyclist, Presta is the way to go, especially if you have deep 700C rims. I used to be of that mindset, despite having to change a tube on several occasions over the years, when the screw in end broke, usually when it was freezing cold, wet and dark. If something can break, it will. For some, appearance is everything.

For me, if something works, that is good enough for me. If I got into tubeless I might feel more positive about Presta valves. Despite originally standardising on Presta valves on my bikes first the ubiquitous Schrader crept in, then the Woods on a trike with older, continental wheel sizes. The fact is, they all work, and the same pump head will fit both Presta and Woods, with a Schrader compatible fitting on the other side.
Is it an urban myth about Schrader valves losing air through centrifugal force overcoming the spring pressure? In over half a century of motorcycling and driving I've never had a situation where that happened. Someone will say that I've obviously not been going fast enough!
Sometimes if you need a tube in a rural bike shop you have to take what they've got, though the size of the valve hole in your rim might limit your choice.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Presta just has the edge over Schrader for me.

With Presta, it's easy to suck the air our of a tube so that it packs away neatly. This isn't so easy with Schrader - especially if you haven't got a valve core removal tool with you.

A minor detail, admittedly!

Quite important should you have a puncture and want to pack the punctured tube neatly (and no, the puncture hole will almost never allow enough flow to do the trick).

Top Bottom