What's that noise with each pedal revolution?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Clank, clank, clank

View: https://youtu.be/Bi45cVA6SJc?si=R2ZPGG_eqW-qMHju

My bike is a used Ghosr Square Cross 1.8, if that matters. LMK if any more details are needed.

Please help me with ideas on what this noise is. Full disclosure the noise started after I changed my tires (same size 40-622). It seems to be in every gear. Right after reinstalling the rear wheel, the chain was slipping on the rear casette. For instance in 1st gear it would drop to the 2nd cog over and over (it was also making this clanking noise). I rode it for 4.5 miles like this and then I removed the rear quick release axle thingy and made sure the wheel was seated properly and retightened the quick release nut and that problem went away.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't making this noise previously although I could be wrong as I'm only like a month in to owning a bike. This noise isn't normal right?

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
It looks / sounds like you're rotation of the crank is slowing at the same point in every turn while the wheel continues to spin at a near-enough constant rate. As the crank slows relative to the wheel on each rotation, the wheel will "freewheel" on the ratchet in the hub, allowing the wheel to continue spinning faster than the cassette.

When the crank speed increases again the cassette's rotation is brought up to the same speed as the crank, the ratchet in the freehub engage again and drive is once more transmitted to the wheel. It sounds like that's the source of the noise - the pawls in the hub engaging again.

Does it happen when your riding? How about if you repeat the test at lower speeds / concentrating on maintaining crank speed and smooth operation?

EckyH

When the crank speed increases again the cassette's rotation is brought up to the same speed as the crank, the ratchet in the freehub engage again and drive is once more transmitted to the wheel. It sounds like that's the source of the noise - the pawls in the hub engaging again.

Does it happen when your riding? How about if you repeat the test at lower speeds / concentrating on maintaining crank speed and smooth operation?
That is what I would have written if I'd have been fast enough. ;)

E.

OP
OP
philipgonzales3

philipgonzales3

Regular
It looks / sounds like you're rotation of the crank is slowing at the same point in every turn while the wheel continues to spin at a near-enough constant rate. As the crank slows relative to the wheel on each rotation, the wheel will "freewheel" on the ratchet in the hub, allowing the wheel to continue spinning faster than the cassette.

Yes, it happens while I am riding. I think it happens at low speeds too but I will test in the morning again and report back. If I remember correctly it seems kind of creaky when riding, but then again my speed increased since the tire change so not sure If it's really anything or not. Long story short I'm not really sure. I'll test and report back.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
pedal is hitting that kick stand isnt it?

1713426543693.png

si_c

Guru
pedal is hitting that kick stand isnt it?

View attachment 728017

No, the loud clank clank clank is classic freehub engaging, it happens more often when hand turning the cranks as you're not as even, nor putting as much torque into the drivetrain.

To the OP, if it happens when riding, you're probably half pedalling or backpedalling slightly then re-engaging.

OP
OP
philipgonzales3

philipgonzales3

Regular
It's not the rear derailleur needing a tweak is it? Sometimes the chain is trying to jump onto the next cog if the indexing is slightly off.

I'm going to have a buddy help me check this, just to be sure. Someone who is familiar with deraileurs or what not.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
So if it is the freehub it might be difficult to to get a like for like replacement. Ghost list it as being Ghost own brand, so could be anything. Unless Ghost are still in existence and they can supply you with a replacement you're looking at replacing the hub assembly. Might be more cost effective to source an entire new back wheel.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Looking at the video, the clank is sounding as the non drive side crank passes the chain stay each time. There is a pump attached to that stay, is the crank hitting the pump or the stay itself?
The noise is too loud and metallic to be from the freewheel.

OP
OP
philipgonzales3

philipgonzales3

Regular
Looking at the video, the clank is sounding as the non drive side crank passes the chain stay each time. There is a pump attached to that stay, is the crank hitting the pump or the stay itself?
The noise is too loud and metallic to be from the freewheel.

I think that's the kickstand that you are mentioning. I validated the pedals or crank arms are not hitting anything. I think the clank noise may have been the freewheel. I just tested and I'm NOT actually hearing this when riding. What I'm hearing when riding is a creaking noise not a clanking noise. I'm going to post the link here in a bit.

OP
OP
philipgonzales3

philipgonzales3

Regular

I'm a dummy. It's NOT actually making this noise when riding. The noise I am getting when riding is more of a creak. I recorded a video with my phone mounted to the handlebars of my bike. Give it a listen?

View: https://youtu.be/N6BWfU0dN7k?si=rXjQORP2nmCox2AE

Top Bottom