Whats the best 5 door hatchback out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr Mag00

rising member
yes we have the panoramic window and i still have a full head of hair so no worries about sun burn on top :smile:

I have a Mazda 6 auto which does ok on fuel but when I change it later this year I will be going diesel and something that can better 50mpg, fuel is just stupid, I may even start making my own diesel from used cooking oil.

jay clock

Massive member
A3 diesel 5 door auto. Lovely car and a decent size. However when I squint at them the Astra looks pretty similar, and I saw a basic one with aircon and delivery miles for £13000 less than I paid for my brand new Audi.....

So head says Astra, heart says Audi

bauldbairn

We had a Renault once. I'm just glad it was a company car.

I had a Laguna Sports Tourer 1.9DCI as a company car 7 years ago and quite liked it to be honest. It had plenty of room and drove/handled well and returned good fuel economy(50mpg). :smile:

I had a VW Passat 1.9TDI up till last year as a company car and liked the way it drove/handled too - just less than 50mpg. It had 160,000+miles on the clock last year(when I left the company) with no major mechanical problems other than new brake discs/pads and calipers. :sad:

I've also owned 3(British Built) Honda Civics since 2003 with no problems whatsoever so would recommend them or the Honda Jazz as already mentioned. :smile:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
We've got a Vauxhall Corsa called Cav and I utterly adore it. It's 5 door, diesel, think it's 1.6 engine and it zips along like nobody's business. Takes bikes on the back and prams in the boot and it's the nicest car I've ever had. Get one!!!!

gbb

Legendary Member
Ford Focus gets a few mentions, and it is a good car, but get the right engine !
Mines a 2007 Focus Style, nice and cheap (ish), comfortable, well laid out...the first ford i've owned for 30 years.
But....its a 1.6 100PS Duratec engine (100PS relates to the power i assume).
Its a bit raucous when pushed, not very economical...you have to drive very steadily and dont abuse the accelerator if you want to achieve anything like 50mpg...which i never have yet.
Usually does 40/43 gallon and i do drive economically, less if i push along. Nowhere near as good as my Vectra SRI was with fuel.
I guess basically, even at 1.6 litre, its a bit underpowered.

I like the car, but should have gone for a better specced engine.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Most practical car I've ever owned has to be the Citroen Picasso. The thing swallows everything. Comfortable, plenty of room, reasonably cheap. Oh and take the seats out and its a van. It's done 100K and not been serviced or maintained for the last 60K.

It's not the most exciting vehicle in the world, but we would have another one tomorrow.

ASC1951

Guru
mr Mag00 said:
i know what you mean about the berlingo, but it does have that certain look about it.....:ohmy:
OTOH the bloke over the road has just packed in his house cleaning business and he has two of them which he is very keen to sell, one an 07 in steel-blue. I'm very tempted, even though my Td Astra has only done 80,000.

Top Bottom