What's the best decongestant?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ive got the snot*iest cold that I tnink I've ever had :eek: I keep sneezing, my eyes are killing me and can't breathe which is even worse when I lie down...so I'm really struggling to sleep! I'm using super strength lemsip which tastes ok and the paracetamol slightly eases my pounding head. But the decongestant element seems fairly useless!

I've used actifed in the past which is good as it makes me drowsy but does anyone have any better alternatives (other than a trip to the vet for an endless sleep :ohmy: ) I'm going to get to a chemist later, not least as I used half a box of tissues overnight!

Thankfully the cough that was the first symptom seems to have eased leaving me with a whole head of goo!

Ugh!

winjim

Smash the cistern
Don't use oxymetazoline / xylometazoline. You can become dependent on it. The advice of a friend who is an ENT surgeon.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I think the OTC stuff is phenylephrine. I'm hoping to only need for a couple more days

I've got an olbas snot stick which helps a bit but not at night

Sara_H

Guru
I don't know, but I wanrted to join in and say that I've had a terrible viral chesty cough and snot for EIGHT days now.

Started with a headache that then progressed to feeling generally poo with paroxymal coughing accompanied by copious volumes of yellow snot. Have hardly slept a wink, OH moved into the spare room last night.

I am so desperate that I've sent the OH to get some Vicks Vapour Rub so I can try the Vicks on feet cure that I've read about on the interwebs. I'm usually very scornfull of such nonsense, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
I had a look at this http://www.wikihow.com/Decongest-Your-Nose and it all seemed sensible until they suggested this!
629px-Decongest-Your-Nose-Step-2Bullet3.jpg

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I like ginger biscuits but can't take it in any other form!

The snot is clear, there's just so much of it! I had a temperature yesterday, everything ached, but that seems to have passed thankfully

I've had a shower. Feel better, not least I've washed the snot away!! xx( A gentle walk to the chemist and purveyor of pastries should be kill or cure. I still can't drive due to the knee surgery (this snot fest is also stopping my rehab :sad: )

Slightly different train of thought from someone who can't have decongestants, have you considered an antihistamine tablet instead? Dry it up and stay off all dairy for a couple of days. Dairy increases mucus build up which won't help you.

midlife

Guru
Using drugs has the problem of "rebound", that's when the drug wears of it comes back again, ususally feeling worse :smile:

Paracetamol / ibuprofen alternating and something like a karvol capsule is as good as anything .......

Shaun

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Cheers. Actifed is more on the antihistamine side I think than a Sudafed so will probabiy get some of that. I'll just use at bedtime (afternoon sleep time)

I'll soak the bed in olbas too!

I'm drinking quite a lot of tea with skimmed milk but will avoid yogurt which can make me a bit snotty anyhow!

Ginger tea/drink and a hot shower or bowl of hot water with towel over head.
Aside from the vet visit, stay clear, they wouldn't hesitate when you reel off the list...

inhaling as per above, with Olbas or another decongestant works well, peppermint tea instead of Ginger and a standard Beconnaise spray are all good solutions. Nothing worse than being bunged up. I have nasal polyps and suffer badly with a cold and for a few weeks after it's gone.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks all. It's the watering eyes killing me right now! And I don't just think it's the carnivore episode of man vs food on TV! :ohmy:

Top Bottom