What's the best hand cleaner?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big John

Guru
For yonks I'd been using Swarfega to clean my hands after a bike mending session. When I eventually ran out of the green gunge I went to replenish my stocks only to discover the price had ramped up, so I sourced some terrific stuff from Wicks's - it looked like squashed oranges mixed with sand. Cleaned the hands like you wouldn't believe and smelt loverly (the wife's words - not mine!). However, they've stopped doing it and I refuse to pay silly money for Swarfega, which wasn't a patch on Wicks's own brand.

Any suggestions? And please don't suggest fairy liquid - the wife goes bananas when she finds grease and oil all over the bottle :ohmy:

Dave5N

Über Member
Screwfix do stuff for decorators. I'll have alook when I go in the kitchen.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Steve Austin said:
I use either handsoap and sugar or handsoap and washing powder. both work fine and a whole load cheaper than swarfega.
Agreed. WD40's quite usefull to get the worst-off first, also veg-oil is a good oil solvent, then fairy and water.

The Citrus degreaser stuff is good too.

tyred

Legendary Member
As mentioned, adding sugar to any kind of liquid soap is good. The best handcleaner I've ever came across is called Lava. It's gentle on the hands but suprisingly effective. But any of the more modern "orange" ones with added grit are better than Swarfega and cheaper. A tip for anyone who regualrily works on diesel engines is that washing powder is probably the only thing that will get the smell of diesel of your hands.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Big John said:
Any suggestions? And please don't suggest fairy liquid - the wife goes bananas when she finds grease and oil all over the bottle :biggrin:

go-on - treat yourself to your own bottle:biggrin:
with a little sugar, it's as good as anything else available

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The Rema hand cleaner is pretty good, ime;

Rema Tip Top Handcleaner.

Added some to an Edinburgh Bike Co-Op order a while back to get free postage, and was pleasantly surprised by it.

Used "The Really Good Stuff" (bought in Morrisons, and does the job nicely).

dodgy

Nobody has mentioned it yet, but try using disposable nitrile gloves. You can boxes of 100 for about £5 delivered.

Cking

008 said:
Baby wet wipes works wonders.

You guys love your baby wipes!!! I have seen them recomended for just about everything on this website.

Big John said:
And please don't suggest fairy liquid - the wife goes bananas when she finds grease and oil all over the bottle :sad:

I bet she loves finding the baby wipe box covered in oil:biggrin:

Back to the thread. I use a drop of shampoo and ,maybe some suger. Works fine. The oil on the bottle problem is still there though.

Rgds Cking

Top Bottom