1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the best handle bar covering for drop bars ?

Discussion in 'Commuting and Utility Cycling' started by BADGER.BRAD, 4 Dec 2016.

1. BADGER.BRAD

BADGER.BRAD Über Member

I now have ended up with two 80's road bikes after 20 years of MTB based hybrids one of which a Clements tourer has the remains of foam covering and a Raleigh Sensor which I intend to use as a commuter with normal bar tape which seems harsh. The Raleigh will be o.k as is as my commute is only 2.5 miles but as the Clements needs a new covering I was wondering which way to go.It will be used for longer trips/touring should I just stick with the foam (I'm thinking this will get wet and stay wet !).
    Ideas please.

2. CanucksTraveller

CanucksTraveller Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

I think cork tape will fit the bill, it's perfectly fine to use in wet weather and it dries out. Good grip and comfort.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cinelli-cork-ribbon-bar-tape/

3. Spiderweb

Spiderweb Senior Member

Last edited: 4 Dec 2016
  4. mcshroom

mcshroom Bionic Subsonic

You can get gel pads to go under bar tape if you're worried about them being harsh. Or you can use some old bits of inner tubes to do a similar job. I've always stuck to normal cork or leather effect bar tape on my bikes though and not had any real discomfort as long as the bike is set up properly.

5. vickster

vickster Guru

Lizardskins 3.2mm but not inexpensive

jay clock likes this.
  6. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Cork tape. Only need to double wrap if you're riding rough stuff a lot. Shouldn't lean on your hands more than needed to steer the bike.

7. DRM

DRM Senior Member

Cinelli gel cork bar tape, really comfy, goes on well & available in a variety of colours.

8. GGJ

GGJ Über Member

For me padded tape is horrible. I don't like the extra thickness and don't find the padding relieves pressure on the hands. I thought Lizardskins was great for the first few rides but then took a dislike to it, it's too sticky for me. My preference now and I've been using it for a few years now is Fizik Superlight. 2mm thick and very durable.

raleighnut likes this.
  9. si_c

si_c Über Member

Another +1 for Cinelli. It's great stuff.

10. jay clock

jay clock Massive member

+1 for Lizardskins 3.2mm

11. biking_fox

biking_fox Über Member

I've never ever considered different tape. It gets whatever the bike shop has available. I thought I was being a bit precious when I sought out some purple to go on the SS, but wasn't even aware it came in different thicknesses. You live and learn.

Illaveago likes this.
  12. DP

DP Chasse patate

Cloth tape!

IMG_0760.JPG

raleighnut likes this.
  13. prawny

prawny Active Member

I'm happy with the cheap stuff from Halfords.

Illaveago likes this.
  14. BADGER.BRAD

BADGER.BRAD Über Member

Thanks for all replies much appreciated I think most of the harshness of the ride is the fact I'm used to Nice thick MTB tyres and thick rubber handle bar grips + a more upright postion, there also the posibility that I'm not travelling as fast.The narrow bars are also taking some getting used to as I tend to ride high gears and really pull on the bars !

Illaveago likes this.
  15. BADGER.BRAD

BADGER.BRAD Über Member

The bar tape came today I've gone for yellow and black, I rapped a little but the bar felt a bit narrow so I under rapped with the foam packing material that the tape came rapped in. On the first side I did I forgot a piece over the brake clamp but decided not to bother un rapping it but made sure I put one on the other side. The bike can now be used but I have ordered new cables just to be on the safe side with yellow outers and at the same time will fit the new brake blocks I have already brought.I put new at the moment (from wilko) cheapy plastic pedals on as the originals were not to be trusted.Heres a few photos. How long is it likley to last under commuting conditions ?
    20161208_152944_zpsmno37wlt.jpg
    20161208_152604_zpsfakvfeaq.jpg
    20161208_152552_zps8yhztwuj.jpg
    20161208_153222_zpsxb8vb7dr.jpg