Whats the best handle bar covering for drop bars ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Looks good, I'd get some full length mudguards for commuting as it'll make wet weather riding infinitely more pleasurable.

Otherwise should hold up fine for commuting. As far as brake blocks just go for koolstop salmons as they'll be much better in the wet. And if you're thinking about new pedals at some point take a look at MKS touring pedals.

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
I do intend to get some full length mudguards but as a stop gap have bodged the original mudguards and a bit of plastic as a crud guard on the front. I checked my front panniers which fit fine (was using them as rear panniers on my MTB commuter) but will need to get some for the rear.I was doing two bikes at once but have decided to sell the other Road bike as the two are very much alike and the tourer more suits my purpose.That will leave me with a MTB, a single speed ridgid MTB and the touring Bike !

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
For a proper period look on your 80s bike use horrible self adhesive tape (sort of dimpled IIRC), from which the glue will leak a bit making it tacky overall. And when you come to remove it you will find that the tape itself is surprisingly brittle and keeps breaking and the glue is horribly tenacious. An authentically nasty solution.

I bought pricey lizard skinz stuff and it doesn't stick, slips and moves about, also, because it's thicker the bar ends keep popping out :@

Before you accuse me of poor technique, I've done my fair share of wrapping, all with great success. At first, I thought it might have been me, but I contacted the supplier and explained the situation, they guessed it was the glue that had perished in storage and sent out a replacement pair, same problem! I had much better experience with cheap cork tape. I now avoid the expensive stuff like the plague!

Lonestar

Veteran
Im using inner tubes after the end of my bar tape up Stratford High Street a few weeks back.

Also considered using pipe lagging.

Couldn't get the original Charge Plug Handlebar tape.

You just reminded me I have to do the other fixie the same.

2dqv80o.jpg

Attachments

• 2dqv80o.jpg
    2dqv80o.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I find it hard to decide on what bar tape to use but I think I prefer the old thin knobbly tape that was on my old 70's Holdsworth. It wasn't the glue type, but was just wound on tightly and would gradually move over the years. It may be down to my riding style, handlebar to seat position and type of tyres and pressure that has affected my decision. I think it is the thin bar feel as opposed to the thick padded feel that I prefer. After all we are all different and you may eventually find one that you prefer.

jay clock

Massive member
I bought pricey lizard skinz stuff and it doesn't stick, slips and moves about, also, because it's thicker the bar ends keep popping out :@

Before you accuse me of poor technique, I've done my fair share of wrapping, all with great success. At first, I thought it might have been me, but I contacted the supplier and explained the situation, they guessed it was the glue that had perished in storage and sent out a replacement pair, same problem! I had much better experience with cheap cork tape. I now avoid the expensive stuff like the plague!
try these bar end plugs. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hope-grip-d...|pcrid|67090788902|pkw||pmt||prd|5300035339uk stops you having to cram the tape inside of the tube

Top Bottom