What's the best Hardtail to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I had a ride on somebody's Boardman hardtail MTB a few weeks ago and loved the way it rode and handled, it felt fantastic.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Mate of mine swore by his until it was stolen. For the heretics among you may I point out it's a 120mm Reba fork on the Boardman 2009s? My Cube has a 100mm Reba fork, and is twitchy as hell on loose rocky steep stuff, but really flies on the flat.....

If all you want to ride is fire road and organic XC then yeah, 100mm is enough. If you want to get adventurous then 120 or even 140 is far more forgiving.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Mate of mine swore by his until it was stolen. For the heretics among you may I point out it's a 120mm Reba fork on the Boardman 2009s? My Cube has a 100mm Reba fork, and is twitchy as hell on loose rocky steep stuff, but really flies on the flat.....

If all you want to ride is fire road and organic XC then yeah, 100mm is enough. If you want to get adventurous then 120 or even 140 is far more forgiving.

100mm Reba Race on my 2009 HT Pro surely?

smithy92

100mm on my 2010, but they seem to change spec mid year because I met someone else with the same bike and my reba's have blackbox motion control and theirs doesnt.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Paul's was a 2009 and had 120s... so it looks like the spec changed during the year. I think they could be changed from 80 to 120 by swapping a spacer but had to be dissembled to do it.

100mm on my 2010, but they seem to change spec mid year because I met someone else with the same bike and my reba's have blackbox motion control and theirs doesnt.

Based on my research it seems

a) it depends on which batch your '09 model 'year' comes from clearly some HT's got forks intended for FS bikes which were spec'ed at 120mm

b) some Boardman, and other, OEM Reba's can have different internals to after market ones and thus may not allow for the spacers to be swapped

c) some Boardman, and other, OEM Reba's aren't OEM Reba's at all but aftermarket (?"All Travel"?) models shipped to the manufacturers

I get the impression that Boardman were basically fitting whatever model of fork they could get their hands on, such was the deserved success of the HT range.

Based on one short test ride of a HT Pro with modded Reba Race running at 120 (in reality more like 114mm) I hated the way it felt. Now this was a medium, and I ride large, it was set up for a much lighter rider, and I'm a big unit, and I like the Pro twitchy fast steering which makes it both a great flat out XC bike and a joy on singletrack, but the modded version felt a bit less responsive. I might still pull mine apart and give it a go one the summer is over and see if the extra 20mm makes me more 'adventurous'!

But out of interest what other departures from standard spec/mods have others gone with?

Cubist

Still wavin'
My Cube Ltd Team originally had 80mm Tora forks, which I didn't get on with. I'm quite heavy and found them not as well damped as I would have liked. I swapped the fork for a Reba Race and after a few bits of twiddling have found the fork to be far more supple and far better damped. I love the way I can play with compression and return rates and spring tensions depending on the stuff I'm going to ride.

The Cube has an XC orientated geometry. It's arse up head down with a long stem and low rise bars in original spec. That's great for fast fire road thrashing and some blue/red route trail stuff, but got very nervous on steep drops and descents, too easy to go over the bars if you got it wrong ( and I often did 'cos I lost a bit of confidence) . A shorter stem, higher wider riser bars made all the difference, and it no longer feels like you're staring over the bars into oblivion on descents. My riding changed a bit towards more technical stuff and the modifications have given me more confidence.

The OP needs to make some decisions based on an honest assessment of what he intends to ride. If you are thinking of long rides over bridleways, MTB challenges and so on, then go for a more XC orientated bike. If you will spend a lot of time at trail centres then you are going to need a slacker geometry with a longer fork.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
My Cube Ltd Team originally had 80mm Tora forks, which I didn't get on with. I'm quite heavy and found them not as well damped as I would have liked. I swapped the fork for a Reba Race and after a few bits of twiddling have found the fork to be far more supple and far better damped. I love the way I can play with compression and return rates and spring tensions depending on the stuff I'm going to ride.

The Cube has an XC orientated geometry. It's arse up head down with a long stem and low rise bars in original spec. That's great for fast fire road thrashing and some blue/red route trail stuff, but got very nervous on steep drops and descents, too easy to go over the bars if you got it wrong ( and I often did 'cos I lost a bit of confidence) . A shorter stem, higher wider riser bars made all the difference, and it no longer feels like you're staring over the bars into oblivion on descents. My riding changed a bit towards more technical stuff and the modifications have given me more confidence.

The OP needs to make some decisions based on an honest assessment of what he intends to ride. If you are thinking of long rides over bridleways, MTB challenges and so on, then go for a more XC orientated bike. If you will spend a lot of time at trail centres then you are going to need a slacker geometry with a longer fork.

I agree with Cubist about the Cubes. Mine is also very XC orientated and makes for an "interesting" Red Route experience even with DH riser bars.

zizou

Veteran
This is really good value for £700 down from £1200...Rocky Mountain make some seriously good bikes and getting one for this price is pretty unusual!

http://www.wiggle.co...ain-uk-project/

That RM is cheap my rocky was £900 second hand two years ago mined it is a full sus.

I'm still miss my old hard tail Ridgeback. I did try the Cotic Soul year last March up in Coed Y Brenin North Wales

I had a great time Cy had 11 bike in a Mondayo estate all by him self I tried the Befe, Hemloc and the Soul and is the one I would love to have it was so-so smooth and that only had the 120 forks then. The Soda is just to costly for me.

Top Bottom