What's The Big Deal With Pannier Bags? Why Not Pannier Boxes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The differences I have found with pannier bags and boxes are that when you put gear in boxes it rattles around and you have to pack them carefully. They are usually heavier than panniers, not as waterproof and not easy to take off the bike.

simongt

Guru
Interesting thing in this debate is that saddlebags don't get much of a mention although only Carradice still appear to be making decent ones now, albeit at a price, but you do get a very well made product - ! :thumbsup: I'm told that saddlebags are a peculiarly British thing for some reason. I did have a Carradice saddlebag back in the '60's, but since then, I've always used rackbags. But this is to do with the fact that few saddles now come with saddlebag loops as standard. But now my two most used bikes have a B.17 and a C.17 respectively - ! :rofl:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
But this is to do with the fact that few saddles now come with saddlebag loops as standard.
I've read that before but I'm not sure I believe it. It's easy enough to add bag loops or frame these days or you can simply strap many saddlebags directly to the rails now that setback seatposts are common.

I think it's more that a rackbag or quick release pannier are much faster to attach and detack, if you don't really care about having the specific long box shape of a wide longflap saddlebag.

Top Bottom