What's The Big Deal With Pannier Bags? Why Not Pannier Boxes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I don't think he's being serious. Although he has got a point, you are personally responsible for all the crap panniers sold in the UK!!! X
True. Me buying crap panniers off Amazon has basically ruined panniers as a storage method and I should be hounded from cyberspace as a consequence.

Stupid me.

I have used a pair of Carradice Super C panniers for over 25 years, and the are still in pretty good condition. I have re-proofed them a few times but they keep on doing the job.
They don't need to be proofed as the water never passes through. I didn't start waterproof mine till about 5 years ago. I decided that I didn't like them being wet for the whole winter so I bought

1604955624766.png

And paint brush. Takes about 5 minutes at most to do 2 panniers. Still have the original can at least half full.
Note the 2.5 liter can from Millets

Last edited:
True. Me buying crap panniers off Amazon has basically ruined panniers as a storage method and I should be hounded from cyberspace as a consequence.

Stupid me.
Now you are taking both of us seriously?
I noticed you haven't answered the question about where you were during 9/11?

I have a small greengrocers plastic produce crate with perforated sides. Didn't buy it of course, I found it lying in the street. Any time I want to use a hack bike to carry shopping etc I cable strap the crate to my rack top then just stuff my shopping bag or rucksack into the crate and go. I carry a bungee cord too. The crate is worth bugger all, so it can be left on when the bike is unattended and the contents taken out.
This is what I do. On my commuters I have a milk crate zip tied to the rack and just throw the Kryptonite lock and chain and my backpack in and I'm away with minimal faff, it will take a substantial sized tool box and a 5 gallon bucket fits perfectly, yes that makes the bike top heavy but there is no other way to carry something that big and heavy on a bike without major fuss. The down side is, as the bikes live on the street, that most mornings I have to remove beer cans, half eaten sandwiches, torn up scratch off cards etc'. Panniers are just not as convenient or versatile for a working bike.
A clear recycling bag and bungee cord is perfect for rainy days as it can go over lights and odd shapes without wasting time

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I think the idea has merit, for £5 what's not to like (though I'd mount it further forward, closer to the saddle).
IIRC there was something similar marketed some years ago (maybe topeak??), but it clearly didin't take-off. Rigid/semi-rigid panniers for bikes have also come and gone.
I'm all for a bit of cheap and cheerful repurposing....

It was up against the saddle until a couple of weeks ago.

I had my puncture repair stuff in the box and when I got a puncture, I realised that having my repair kit under my work clothes wasn't such a great idea (unless you don't mind oily work clothes).

I bought a saddle bag for the tools and spare inner tube and moved the box back to allow access.

The box and contents weigh very little and I keep things like shoes and work boots at work to save me having to carry too much stuff.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I don't foresee any hounding, nor do I encourage it.

That's good to hear.

I've picked up a fair bit from this thread about luggage storage on a bike. I've been provided with links to quality products and seen examples.

As a result, I'm probably going to go down the pannier bag route and spend around £100 to £150 buying a half decent set.

Any recommendations in that price range?

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Most folk on here would plump for Ortlieb back Rollers at a guess. Around £130 a set. Bombproof. I have a set which are about twenty years old and have brought the weekly shop home most weeks. Just starting to need a few running repairs.
ive a set of Arkel Orcas for touring. These - the 45s - might just tip your budget, but they are supremely well made and completely waterproof. Arkel’s randonneur rack and bag is a brilliant bit of kit too, but more of an investment for long trips.
You will be unlikely to find Arkel on Amazon, I fear; but they will be delivered in a van. I bought mine by sailing to the Canadian factory on a raft I made in the shed from micro plastics and old knickers.

Top Bottom