What's The Big Deal With Pannier Bags? Why Not Pannier Boxes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I got an almost unused pair of back rollers for £44 :okay:
The problem I've had over the last six months, is that practically everything I've needed for my bike has either been unavailable or very expensive.

I've noticed that the crank set and freewheel I bought three months ago are 20% cheaper today.

In fairness though, if it wasn't for the virus and lockdown, my bike would still be hanging up in the shed gathering cobwebs and rust.

So I don't begrudge the hard pressed retail industry for getting a few extra quid off me.

straas

Matt
I think I was pretty lucky at the time to be honest - looks like singles can be had for the £40 mark on ebay though.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Carradice,

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
@Lovacott the other option to Panniers is either a rack pack or a large Saddle-bag, these can also be quick release for ease of removal and are a bit more aero and less sticky-outy than Panniers and keep the weight a bit more centered....

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
@Lovacott the other option to Panniers is either a rack pack or a large Saddle-bag, these can also be quick release for ease of removal and are a bit more aero and less sticky-outy than Panniers and keep the weight a bit more centered....
I reckon I need about a cubic foot of storage for the trousers, shirt and other stuff I take to work. I've relocated my wallet, mobile phone and house keys to a handlebar bag and most of my tools are now in the saddle bag I fitted a couple of weeks ago.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As a result, I'm probably going to go down the pannier bag route and spend around £100 to £150 buying a half decent set.

Any recommendations in that price range?
If you're willing to spend that much, Carradice and Ortleib are the ones that come to my mind.

In the mid-range, I'm quite happy with my Basil panniers. My most-used ones are Mara XLs, but they are very definitely not quick-release which upsets some. They do fold/roll up when not in use, which minimises aero penalty (important on the open fens), although there is no clip for this probably-unintended feature, so I use bulldog clips or pegs to hold them closed. Each side takes a US/EU-style long-handled cloth grocery bag dropped in, with a little space for a lock or toolkit in front, but I think Ortleibs are a similar size/shape.

Which reminds me: why is having your repair kit under your clothes a problem? When you need the kit, you've not yet started work, so your hands should be clean... and once you've done the repair, clean your hands on the cloth from the kit using the cleaner in it (I have blue gloves in there too, but I often tear them!), so your hands should be clean when you close it and put it back. If the kit gets crap on the outside, wipe it off with the cleaner... maybe keep an old plastic bag to drop it in if it gets too bad. My repair kit usually lives in the bottom of my saddlebag (which gets thrown in the pannier if I've got the panniers attached and there's space - it's faster, which is especially important in winter).

Are Tredz a reliable retailer?
No: they're now Halfords and are like the shops but worse, with a long history of tricks like showing stock they don't have and stringing people along, even before they were bought. Search this site and I'm sure you'll find some reviews.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I don't foresee any hounding, nor do I encourage it. It's clear you are now owning the problem, and have options to resolve it.
Good luck on your new virtuous path!

Weird, because I saw plenty of hounding.
People buy online. Not just Amazon, but almost the whole cycling industry is sold online. It is no one else's business where or how @Lovacott does his/her shopping.
Nice way to make a newbie to the forum feel welcome. Well done. :headshake:

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Which reminds me: why is having your repair kit under your clothes a problem? When you need the kit, you've not yet started work, so your hands should be clean.

It's the putting back of stuff with dirty hands that was the issue.

I could carry a cloth or gloves, but the simple answer seemed to be a small saddle bag just big enough to carry my puncture repair stuff.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
View attachment 557273

Yes, one of my friends in Amsterdam has the above "plastic crate on the front" approach, it does seem common there. He says it's very good for carrying beer back from the shops... an ironed shirt, probably not so much.

They're damn expensive too. I recall a fellow tourist asking a local Dutch bloke about them he said they were about 30 euros.

We told him they were free from the recycling bin our local greengrocer.

Top Bottom