What's The Big Deal With Pannier Bags? Why Not Pannier Boxes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Best budget price panniers I've ever bought are Lidl's version of the Ortlieb. Just £10 but every bit as capacious, waterproof and tough as the original. The downside is they only have velcro top fasteners and one hook on the back of the pannier for the rack. Easy enough to supplement with an extra webbing strap to stop it bouncing off.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Not in the example you used - people generally don't travel multiple times to the same location to purchase and return iterations of a single product.
Actually, I've made very few returns to Amazon.

I've bought a few items which were not as described and in most cases, they give you a full or partial credit and let you keep the item.

I bought an action cam and one of the many supplied camera mounts was broken. They sent me two brand new cameras (I have no idea why?). I ended up giving the cam a 4 star review and I fitted one of the spares to my daughters bike.

I could have fixed the pannier bags with some simple stitching but they didn't have any other option on their returns page apart from doing a return. Sooner or later, they will learn that it is cheaper to give a value credit or voucher than it is to pay Amazon to collect and return it.

I'm not an advocate of the online shopping world but we have to face the fact that the vast majority of our discretionary shopping will be done this way within ten years. I don't care what anyone says openly about paying more for good service and supporting local jobs. At the end of the day, it all comes down to price.

My local camera shop closed this year. I have a 1970's Praktica MTL2 SLR camera and the shop was my source for 35mm black and white film. I reckon I spent about £300 a year in there on bits and bobs.

But people were going in there to pick his brains and try out his display models. Then they'd go online and buy the camera they liked for a tenner less.

It's not fair and it's not great but it is inevitable.

You're either paying for vans to make multiple trips (delivering the cheap crap), or you're encouraging lots of cheap crap plastic stuff to be shipped round the world then thrown into landfill at our end. Both seem like sh1t options to me.

You *could* choose to avoid both by buying decent stuff to start with (either in a shop, or online). Your choice. Nothing "inevitable" about it, and we're not forcing you in either direction, so don't blame anyone else, or bleat about it.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
You're either paying for vans to make multiple trips (delivering the cheap crap), or you're encouraging lots of cheap crap plastic stuff to be shipped round the world then thrown into landfill at our end. Both seem like sh1t options to me.

Our shops are filled with plastic crap from China already so you can't blame the online marketplace for dumbing down quality.

The online world has an advantage as well. You can read reviews, watch videos about how to fit things, ask questions.

It increases the chances of buying the right thing for the job.

The worst thing I've bought was a freewheel tool which stripped bare the first time I used it. Halfords was shut so I had no option but to buy online.

I wrote a really scathing review and they credited me with £50 to cover the cost of my having to do a destructive removal (with a large large pipe wrench).

They've since removed the item from sale after similar reviews from others.

Here's what I had to say.

1604940921119.png

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The online world has an advantage as well. You can read reviews, watch videos about how to fit things, ask questions.

Or rather, it would if most reviews were honest, sellers didn't change the product without removing reviews for the old version and 1001 other tricks...

The worst thing I've bought was a freewheel tool which stripped bare the first time I used it. Halfords was shut so I had no option but to buy online.
Waiting 12 hours (usually) for Half-odds (or a better shop) to reopen seems like another option and probably quicker unless you're in a big city with same-day delivery.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
There is a counter argument that increased online shopping actually reduces traffic. It's the same principle as roadside waste and recycling collections instead of each household making a weekly trip to the tip.

One van making ten deliveries in the same road uses less fuel than those ten households each driving to the shops.

Like it or not, online retail is here to stay and it can't be stopped just like self checkout in supermarkets couldn't be stopped either.

The implications for the economy are something governments are going to have to get to grips with in the next decade or we will be facing mass unemployment.
Your counter argument is pants. Your original inference was that its okay to just keep buying air filled plastic boxes until you get the ideal one, because theyve got a van to drive them about for you till your happy. If your model is the sustainable future, I will eat my hat. And just order another one online, until I find the tastiest hat in the universe.

• Cool
Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Or rather, it would if most reviews were honest, sellers didn't change the product without removing reviews for the old version and 1001 other tricks...Waiting 12 hours (usually) for Half-odds (or a better shop) to reopen seems like another option and probably quicker unless you're in a big city with same-day delivery.

Halfords were actually properly shut for many weeks so I had no option but to go online.

As for Amazon reviews, it's not that hard to tell a fake review from a genuine user review.

It's actually pretty easy.

"This bag maid me joyful on arriving. The utility is the most superb and I have a lot of confidence on the construction".

Our shops are filled with plastic crap from China already so you can't blame the online marketplace for dumbing down quality.
I'm not blaming the online marketplace - I'm blaming YOU!!! x

Yes! The internet is great; you could read a thread like this, then buy an Ortlieb (or other options), not some cheap online crap.

(It's interesting reading the reams people write about the benefits/inevitability of their online tat addictions; if they truly saw nothing wrong with it, why would they spend all that time defending their choices?? :P )

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
How did a thread about panniers and the selection thereof turn into a bigger fight than a thread in NACA??? :biggrin:
Someone posted reasoning with a half dozen logical disconnects in it, then tried to defend it as perfectly logical and attributed emotions to a couple of people that there's no way of knowing if they felt.

The usual internet forum stuff, in other words!

I am sticking with

Plastic box ain't going to get as much firewood in as my panniers or my cargo trailer and you would be lucky to get puppy in that silly Plastic box!
As an aside you bought crap pannier bags which leaked and that's not a surprise!
The front pannier bags on the grey bike are carradice super c rear pannier bags and are 23 years old and have yet to let a drop of water in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I'm not blaming the online marketplace - I'm blaming YOU!!! x

It looks like you are up for a fight about some words typed on the internet.

I express an honest opinion and you get all aggressive with block capitals.

Whatever floats your boat mate. I'm not playing.

Top Bottom