What's The Big Deal With Pannier Bags? Why Not Pannier Boxes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theloafer

Legendary Member
Carridice are bombproof, long lasting sensibly priced and spacious.

i have had my Carridice since the early 80`s ...have been repaired a few times with there kit and reproofed often still going strong and keep out the weather ... on and off the bike in seconds

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Mine were fitted on the rear rack - didn't need the capacity of the 'rear rollers'. Just so convenient, and you can still carry oversized loads carefully.
I have the front classics fitted to the rear rack of my commuter. 5 years of faultless performance so far.

simongt

Guru
I prefer panniers over a backpack; sweaty, high load centre etc.. The GLW have been using Carrdice cotton duck for years with no problems. For my commute, I'm using an Altura Urban Dryline ( from Amazon - ! :laugh: ) and haven't had any issues with it to date. However, boxes have their place for some folk, and they can be lockable which is useful. The only drawback with a box as I see is that they don't flex, so loading with odd shaped items can be an issue.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Rear crates are more popular than top boxes for reasons already given.

I have a small greengrocers plastic produce crate with perforated sides. Didn't buy it of course, I found it lying in the street. Any time I want to use a hack bike to carry shopping etc I cable strap the crate to my rack top then just stuff my shopping bag or rucksack into the crate and go. I carry a bungee cord too. The crate is worth bugger all, so it can be left on when the bike is unattended and the contents taken out.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It has a towel, a pair of folded trousers and a neatly pressed shirt. Zero weight really.
Purely out of interest why do you need a large plastic box to carry virtually nothing?

There are plenty of good bags you could fit on your rack. Lighter, more aero, better aesthetics. The example below is just that, an example, there are many others.

Trunk bag

Last edited:
The great thing is that you can send back the guff for an instant refund without leaving your armchair.

My main problem with quality panniers was the price. They look great and I'm sure they more than do the job, but I have to justify my purchases to the woman who is trying to teach our teenage kids about the value of money.
Hows about my ortlieb bikepackers pluses, cost well over £100 20 years ago, still look like new, been used for camping trips and lots of journeys, done hundreds if not thousands of shopping trips with all sorts of stuff in including tins. Have long since paid for themselves in cheap shopping sourcing. How much use do wife and kids get out of clothes, phones etc etc etc before dumping them?
If you want to teach both a lesson, avoid cheap panniers. Total waste of money.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
The great thing is that you can send back the guff for an instant refund without leaving your armchair.

My main problem with quality panniers was the price. They look great and I'm sure they more than do the job, but I have to justify my purchases to the woman who is trying to teach our teenage kids about the value of money.

Destroying the planet, one package at a time.
I don’t see anything great about yet more delivery vans littering the roads to help in your armchair quest for the perfect cycling accessory.
Panniers are the accepted method of carrying stuff on bikes, along with porteur racks, top boxes, homemade willow baskets, rubberised tea tray, beer crates, local authority recycling boxes, ash splint baskets, net sacks, shellacked cardboard boxes, cordura bar bags, Berthoud leather satchels, klickenfix-enabled Wundersax etc etc ad inf
Your box idea probably suits you, so stick with it.
I’m not sure why you’re fat-shaming schoolchildren either? Sounds a little passive aggressive to me

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Purely out of interest why do you need a large plastic box to carry virtually nothing?

There are plenty of good bags you could fit on your rack. Lighter, more aero, better aesthetics. The example below is just that, an example, there are many others.

Trunk bag
1. Most bags like that lollop about annoyingly on their velcro band fastenings.

2. Putting a shirt in a bag generally wrinkles it, which is why people buy special boxes like Shirt Shuttles. Why not just attach the box to the rack and do without the middlebagman?

London fashionista prices :laugh:
surprised at this comment from you.
Ortliebs aren't fashion items.
Eminently practical.
I've left mine outside the tent on a pouring with rain night.
And in the grass while I kipped in a bivvy on a heath, confident that if it did rain, come morning they would be dryer than me inside.
And I use them for shopping as I said - I know some folks who think shopping by bike profoundly sad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom