What's The Big Deal With Pannier Bags? Why Not Pannier Boxes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
London fashionista prices :laugh:
The Ortliebs came from JE James, don’t think they’re in London?

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I’d never stick a square plastic box on the back of one of my bikes. :whistle:

It looks like poo but it does the job.

On my way homeon Wednesday last week, two girls and a fat kid were walking back from the college at the top of the hill and the fat kid yelled out "Postman Pat".

I stopped my bike and got off before walking over to the group.

You should have seen the look on his face when I kissed my daughter on the cheek.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Good bags are better because they can fold up not in use and remove the aero penalty but unfolded they can have a much larger capacity.

I always use my storage so the foldaway bit offers no advantage.

I've been toying around with the idea of a set of quick release plastic panniers which can be removed in seconds..

It could be a money maker?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I had Ortlieb front roller classics (smaller thar rear rollers) on my commute bike. Fantastic bits of kit and I think I paid £65 for the pair in a sale. Most importantly, they look good too, as well as being waterproof and fast to take on and off. Also protected the bike a few times in car altercations.

I had Ortlieb front roller classics (smaller thar rear rollers) on my commute bike. Fantastic bits of kit and I think I paid £65 for the pair in a sale. Most importantly, they look good too, as well as being waterproof and fast to take on and off. Also protected the bike a few times in car altercations.
+1 for the front rollers. Surprisingly decent capacity too, though it took a while to get used to having weight attached to the forks.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
+1 for the front rollers. Surprisingly decent capacity too, though it took a while to get used to having weight attached to the forks.

Mine were fitted on the rear rack - didn't need the capacity of the 'rear rollers'. Just so convenient, and you can still carry oversized loads carefully.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I bought these panniers back in 2014 from Amazon. Cost me £50 at the time. Waterproof, tough as a brick poophouse and carry 20ltrs each. They're actually airtight for about 15 mins such is the construction. I haven't found much that I can't carry with them.
Vs a plastic box on the rack? No thanks.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
That there is your problem. 90% off the stuff sold on Amazon is absolute guff, fit only for landfill.

Decent panniers are amazing. I had a set of Altura Arrans for 12 years before one of the seams burst on one of them - and only when I overloaded it (though the later models are not nearly so robust)
I have used a pair of Carradice Super C panniers for over 25 years, and the are still in pretty good condition. I have re-proofed them a few times but they keep on doing the job.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
When I started commuting, I carried a backpack which basically turned my lower back into a sweat factory.

So I fitted a rack and bought some Pannier bags off Amazon (there was nowhere else open).

Within a few days, I'd given up on the panniers (leaky, cumbersome etc).

I popped into B&Q and bought a plastic storage box and fixed it to my rack.

It works a treat and keeps everything bone dry.

Cost me only a fiver and it ranks amongst the top ten in my "best ever fivers spent" league.

Does anyone else on here have anything similar? View attachment 557017

Why is your box mounted so far back? It doesn't look like it'll take a heavy load on the overhang.

Panniers also lower the centre of gravity. A full box with heavy items will make the handling interesting.

Having said that, loads of Dutch bikes have a plastic basket on the front which negates panniers.

Last edited:
My Carradice Super C eventually wore out and were covered in patches . My Ortleibs are starting to show their age.
I have thought about making panniers. The pattern is not difficult, Carradice use a simple and effective corrugated plastic stiffener to which you can rivet Rixen and Kaul hook rails. Ortleib style drybag vinyl can be heat welded. My dad made some drape over style panniers with plywood stiffener. They lasted for years.

Top Bottom