What's the correct road bike size for me?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 20519

Every single size chart tells me a different thing. I'm around 5'5, maybe a centimetre shorter than that. I don't want a bike that is so big that the saddle is all the way down or one that's too small so the saddle's up at it's limit. What would be the right size for me?

Nearly there

Veteran
Im assuming you cant sit on some in a shop to gauge size?Stand over height is important so measure you inside leg and you should have 1-2 inches clearance over the top tube thats what I checked first when trying to find my size.

Stand-over height is pretty meaningless unless you have a parallel top tube. The majority of modern road bikes use a semi-compact geometry which makes that measure pretty much redundant. On paper, something like a 50-52cm might be worth looking at - but you really need to try for size first.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Stand-over height is pretty meaningless unless you have a parallel top tube. The majority of modern road bikes use a semi-compact geometry which makes that measure pretty much redundant. On paper, something like a 50-52cm might be worth looking at - but you really need to try for size first.
I would go with that , i am 5 foot 7 " and can ride a 54 at most .

boydj

Legendary Member
Manufacturers size their bikes differently, and size depends on the frame type - horizontal or compact. Set tube sizes can vary considerably on equivalent-size bikes. Personally, I look for the horizontal top-tube equivalent, when looking at geometry charts, as a way of comparing different frames. I think you would probably be looking at something in the 51/52/53 cm range.

Top Bottom