What's the deepest you've been?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Brains said:
I'd guess the 'deepest' is the road tunnel between Chamonix and Italy as it passes right under the highest mountain in W.Europe, Mt Blanc at 4,900m, even if you take off the 1,000m as the entrance is slightly higher than Chamonix

Me too, last year. Unfortunately I made the mistake of reading the wiki entry about the horrendous fire (involving a lorry carrying margarine) a few years back before going through. It's quite a strange feeling driving for 7 or so mls with nothing but, well, tunnel...

graham56

Guru
870ft BSL, Plessey seam at Ashington No 1 Pit, 1972

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
davidg said:
at 422 metres below sea level, surely I am winning!

and all for lying on my back floating

Hmm.... not compared to a UK mine . ground will be max 200m above sea level......

Lying on back floating...well yes then........:biggrin:

graham56

Guru
longers said:
Were you a miner Graham?

I was a minor but never a miner,it was a school visit. Don`t remember if it was some sort of recruiting drive or not but going "in by" wasn`t for me, thank you very much. As far as i`m concerned miners weren`t paid enough for the work they did, once down there was quite enough for me.

Does the Dead Sea count? OK its shores are still 'ground' level, but the ground level is about 420m below sea level, the lowest land surface on Earth. Visited there as a teenager, and went swimming, if you can call it swimming (water was very buoyant, difficult to get under water - not that you'd want to, not with all the salt).

This was over 40 years ago. Probably changed a lot since then.

Also passed briefly through Sedom (biblical Sodom & Gomorrah). Nasty place. Wouldn't want to stay there. Lot had the right idea, his missus didn't...

Top Bottom