What's the deepest you've been?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

Curiousity got the better of me and I had to go and have a look and walk through an old railway tunnel that`s very near to where I live. That`s a couple of hundred metres deep at one point;)

Didn`t go on my own though, I`m not that brave:blush::evil:

bikepete said:
About a third of the way down this (in Slovenia) (many years ago):

mig_2009_for_jamar.png

I love the fact that part of this cave is called Happy Monday!!! When you get there are you greeted by Shaun Ryder and Bez and Step On playing on a loop? :evil:

Brains

Legendary Member
I'd guess the 'deepest' is the road tunnel between Chamonix and Italy as it passes right under the highest mountain in W.Europe, Mt Blanc at 4,900m, even if you take off the 1,000m as the entrance is slightly higher than Chamonix

Other than that, about 100m down a pothole near Matlock

ASC1951

Guru
Bottom of the Gouffre Berger, -1122m. At the time the deepest cave in the world with only one entrance, although I'm not sure it still is.

Did Mont Blanc three or four days later and I admit I got through a boatload of ale for the rest of the holiday.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
50 meters ish diving blue hole in dahab....

55 meters diving at Elphinstone, Southern Egypt!

SShhhhh!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Velvet Curtain said:
About 600m in a coal mine in Warwickshire (now closed - the mine, not Warwickshire).

800 metres or there abouts in Parkside Colliery Lancashire when I was 17 years old on a works day trip (worked in Energy then).....

Had us travelling about the mine on top of the coal conveyors, then you'd have to jump off at an exit point..... bloody scary 'cos if you didn't jump, god knows where you'd end up. :evil: Never get away with doing that with a bunch of youngsters these days....

Came out filthy black. :bravo: Was probably one of the best things I've ever done.

A classified depth on one of HM submarines :evil:

longers

Legendary Member
Interesting stuff. I read a bit about BikePetes cave I think. Have they been using explosives to open the gaps up a bit?

I've not been far at all. Whitescar caves, Cheddar Gorge :biggrin:.
Williams Pott in Yorkshire I think it was called also which was proper underground, muddy and wet but not deep. There's a secret cave I've been to that's opened by a lever which was great. I could find the valley I think but not the lever so that secret is safe and it's not very deep either.

All messing around like that be it underwater or underground takes skill and nerve, which I don't have much of.

I'd like to dive but my sinuses don't like it. The deepest is for a pair of sunglasses that fell off a boat, that was a bit far for no air but I got them.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Deepest below ground level is probably the Mont Blanc tunnel - i.e. several thousand metres.

Railway tunnel fans should also try the Simplon tunnel, which has an approach tunnel on the Italian side that is built in a spiral within the mountain to gain elevation.

Top Bottom