Whats the gear trick?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have not even got a Brompton yet and am intrigued by the talk of gear changes.

Whats unusual about it and whats the trick?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I suspect it's the 6 speed set-up, which has two levers and isn't instantly intuitive.
The left lever controls a two speed derailleur, the right does a three speed hub.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
What most people end up doing is using only the right-hand lever except on a constant uphill where you can fine-tune using the left-hand lever.

All sensible people eventually decide 'sod that for a lark' and convert a 3-speed to the SA-8 with twist-grip shifter.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If they've got a few hundred quid to spend and don't mind an extra kilo of weight, then yes, they might do that.
Other perfectly sensible people take their standard M6R touring round Provence for ten days.
Coping with two levers is easy. First gear - both levers down. From then on, to go up a gear take the left lever up. If it's already up then take it down and take the right lever up. Repeat as required. It's not even as tricky as that in practice.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Using the six speed is no problem. It is simple to fine tune to get a suitable ratio and gets easy after a short hilly run to give some practice.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If I get one I will work it out. Changing things just to make it easy is not my style. After all I ride Moto Guzzis :0)

Brommyboy

Über Member
Moving from the five-speed single cable to the six speed double lever did not take long to adjust. I now change gear intuitively, even sometimes without noticing it!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Sensible people use a two speed and fit a new chain set with a second smaller ring as a bail out, which they can change down to with their heel.
Out of curiosity (for future upgrades) .... what ratios, and did you change the chain and BB length?

Sara_H

Guru
I'm one if the least technically minded people I know, but even j managed to get used to the six speed set up quite quickly, far more quickly than I got used to an 18speed dérailleur, which took years!

roundthebendbromcycle

I remember finding it terribly complicated to change for a start, constantly thinking left hand, right hand, then I'd see something interesting and completely forget what gear i was in, then it all became subconcious ....so I can no longer talk about it

Top Bottom