What's the ideal frame size for me ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
O.K I've been riding bike for Donkeys years but could now do with a new mountain bike, all my bikes are quite old so are set up with an old school sizing system coming out some where at 21 to 23 inch depending on how far I send the seat tube out more suited to road bikes of the past ( It seems the tendancy tends to be smaller frame more seat tube lenght !) My question is how much smaller than a road/commuter bike would you generally go for a moutain bike ? Is there a rule of thumb ?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think the rule of thumb is 2 inches shorter but I don't remember why or where I read that.

Levo-Lon

Guru
large 18 19 at 5' 10" though thats still open to what fits..Canyon are small compared to say Cube etc.throw a leg over if possible

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
go into your lbs and ask the question. Sit on a few bikes of different sizes and see how they feel. Get some test rides. You are under no obligation to buy anything.

We cannot tell you what size bike you need. All we are doing is guessing. You could well buy a bike on our guesses and it may be totally the wrong size.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
2" sounds about right. The BB on a MTB is always higher off the ground. I always prefer a frame that's a bit big for me but we're all different. Suck it and see.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
2" sounds about right. The BB on a MTB is always higher off the ground. I always prefer a frame that's a bit big for me but we're all different. Suck it and see.

Cyclops, this is what I was getting on "Sounds about right" is just our guestimation. The op needs to get into a shop.

annandahappy

I think better you follow some dependable guideline form a renowned manufacturer for your proper size and shape of your bike you need.

Top Bottom