whats the law on people walking in middle of road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roadrunner20

just wondering what the law is for when people just walk in the middle of a busy road.

Had a near miss when some guys/idiots were walking very very slowly across the middle of a busy road then as they saw me continued to walk stupidly slow so that i had to avoid them and move out of cycle lane into main left lane, apon shouting "cant you walk quicker" i get a load of abuse...

i understand people walking across road but at least walk fast enough so that it isnt taking the piss, unless the law allows you to walk this slowly and cause near misses?

Truth is - we'd move people out of the road who were walking in it, and if we were really forced to use legislation it'd be Obstruction of the Highway. However, we're unlikely to attend the report of a call at any speed, unless the pedestrians are in a position of extreme danger, or we get more than a few calls. If they are just dawdling down the street, but still crossing, best to just ignore them and go round - car or bike.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
just wondering what the law is for when people just walk in the middle of a busy road.

Had a near miss when some guys/idiots were walking very very slowly across the middle of a busy road then as they saw me continued to walk stupidly slow so that i had to avoid them and move out of cycle lane into main left lane, apon shouting "cant you walk quicker" i get a load of abuse...

i understand people walking across road but at least walk fast enough so that it isnt taking the piss, unless the law allows you to walk this slowly and cause near misses?

Crossing a road a pedestrian to allowed to cross at whatever speed they wish. It is upto you to slow and stop if necessary. Yes it can be bloody frustrating but I guess we cyclists can be to cars as well.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i quite often meet people walking along the gutter way on my short section of road commute , cant understand why they dont just step up on to the pavement

I do occasionally see the knuckle dragging 'I can walk really slowly while glowering at the annoyed traffic' types in one area I pass though on my commute. If I spot them far enough in advance, best just to stop early and wait until they get onto the path before continuing. If you get close enough they'd probably spit or throw a can of Carling or something if I buzzed them.

As Bentmikey suggests, chill out - I treat them as escaped cattle and give them a little time so that you can give them a very wide berth.
(Obviously not all people who cross slowly fit into this category, so use your judgement!)

Dan B

Disengaged member
Truth is - we'd move people out of the road who were walking in it, and if we were really forced to use legislation it'd be Obstruction of the Highway.
"willfully and without lawful authority or excuse" iirc. I'd be interested to learn of any case where this has actually gone to Court and what the outcome was cos i'd have thought that the right to pass and repass is about as fundamental a lawful authority as it gets

Angoose

Just speed up so you go passed them and forget about the sods even quicker saving on any agro and increasing the good old fitness.

Were they "in the middle of the road" as in walking down or near to the centre, or were they "in the middle of the road" as we cyclists are when we are far enough out not to be pedal-striking the kerb

"willfully and without lawful authority or excuse" iirc. I'd be interested to learn of any case where this has actually gone to Court and what the outcome was cos i'd have thought that the right to pass and repass is about as fundamental a lawful authority as it gets

In my experience, not many - although my experience is mainly to do with rights of way on footpaths and bridleways and whether interfering with bloothirsty savages intent on setting their dogs an other animals was outside the "passing and repassing"

Attempts were made to press charges based on those definitions of the legal use of a right of way

Although usually that ended up with a "Section 5" arrest followed by a hasty* release - at least until the CJ & POA 1994 allowed arrest and conviction as soon as any public right of way was left

*North Yorkshire tended to be less hasty, preferring to let us relax in their hospitality as long as possible. Unfortunately Melton Mowbray were too hasty, given that in the earl;y 90s they developed a reputation for being quite generous with their catering for vegan & vegetarian diets so we used to hope we'd be in long enough to qualify for a meal - yes, it surprised me given the association with meat pies!

Top Bottom