What's the Postie brought you today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What postie has NOT brought me today is my new laptop. I ordered it from John Lewis a week ago on 7 day delivery but they phoned me yesterday to say that their supplier had just informed them that there were none left and it might be the 29th (or longer) before more are available ...
Well, it suddenly turned up today!

Postie handed over a small parcel and I assumed that it must have been something else that I had ordered because it didn't seem big enough to contain a laptop, but it DID. In fact nearly 2/3 of the box was empty space ... The device is SERIOUSLY petite and I love it! (Which is what I was expecting since I paid double the price of a chunkier, lower-specced machine!)

The screen is great (13.3" full HD, very clear and bright, with wide viewing angles and a non-reflective coating). The low weight is great (about 2.5 lbs). The overall size is as small as I would want a laptop to be (only just over 1 cm thick at its thickest point). The keyboard is perfectly usable; not as great as the fantastic keyboard on my old Dell (which I will continue to use when typing long documents), but ok. It is backlit so I can use it without having to put lights on in the room. The laptop is very nippy, stays pretty cool under normal use, and enjoys long battery life. Its stereo internal speakers are not too bad, a vast improvement on the solitary diabolical speaker on the old Dell which did not have Bluetooth so I couldn't even use an external speaker without trailing wires across. The 256 GB SSD should be big enough for most of what I want to do, and I can always plug in an external drive or SD card for extra storage if I ever need it.

It will take me a few days to install all the software that I had on the Dell.

I have already spotted the information-mining Win 10 features which Microsoft has kindly provided. I'll be turning off as many of those as I can!

New laptop.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Oh, I forgot to mention a pair of Campagnolo Veloce brake callipers yesterday! They will be used on my singlespeed bike project. Just a chain tensioner and headset needed now. Maybe a pair of flat pedals too. (I will use the bike for riding to the shops and to Hebden Bridge. I will probably be walking about quite a bit at the other end so being able to ride in suitable walking shoes or boots would be handy.)

TVC

Mr Postie arrived with my copy of Island Songs by Olafur Arnalds. Just released today. That's our evening sorted.

20161028_141850.jpg

dim

Garmin Edge 1000 Performance Bundle

not delivered by a postie, but I bought from a fellow cycle chat member (Dandello) and he delivered it today .... in mint condition and a great guy

s-l1600.jpg

lots to learn and I will check the manuals in the morning

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 33

midlife

Guru
Garmin Edge 1000 Performance Bundle

not delivered by a postie, but I bought from a fellow cycle chat member (Dandello) and he delivered it today .... in mint condition and a great guy

s-l1600.jpg

lots to learn and I will check the manuals in the morning

Real men never read the manuals :smile:

Shaun

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 33

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
Postie turned up with my new Light&Motion urban light from Rutland and also a selection of 10 different nail polishes from Nails Inc.

The wife has been going on about the polishes since she read about the "bargain" on MoneySavingExpert. Apparently they are usually a tenna each so I didn't moan too much about £25. But a bloody tenna:eek:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
A mildly threatening letter from our building society. We live in interesting times.

Polite

Über Member
The lovely Emil from DPD bought me one of these:

whilst the normal postie bought me one of these:

ne40_avenue_verte.jpg

Can I just give a 'big up' to DPD (and the wonderful Emil)? DPD used to be a firm I dreaded suppliers using but they're really upped their game. You get a text to let you know what day your goods are being delivered and then one to let you know what 1 hour time slot they'll be delivered in. And, if like me you're out walking the dog when they turn up and none of your neighbours are around, you get a phone call asking if you'd like them to leave it somewhere for you.
Is the Avenue Verte guide any good? I'm thinking of cycling from Paris to Dieppe.

Top Bottom