Whats the rubber bit called when mounting on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

cambsno

He might have an old roll of gaffer tape or a bit of carpet off cut.

I had thought as google was no help as I was not sure on the name I would ask people who know more, being new and all that. Thankfully most on here are not up their own backsides like you appear to be.

I mistakenly thought it was a good idea to ask for help.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
C

cambsno

rubber shim? eg from SJS https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/search/?term=shim

you could try a bit of old inner tube otherwise
Thanks. Almost the thing I was thinking of but this really was more basic. Literally a piece of rubber that could be wound around itself to add depth.

OP
OP
C

cambsno

Leave the guy alone. He's new to this game. He won't know all the dodges and tricks that we do. We have years of experience on bodging fixes and getting round problems without resorting to buying expensive trinkets. He will learn but needs encouragement, not derision.

Edit...
Cambsno, if you need an old inner tube just PM me your address.
Appreciate that. As has been mentioned not got any inner tubes. Just a small piece of would be fine like 10cm or so.

Lovacott

Über Member
I mistakenly thought it was a good idea to ask for help. You are obvious one of the pricks who give cyclists a bad Name!

I'm generally quite a nice bloke and I enjoy helping people out. But there are some questions I get asked which make me wonder if the person asking the question is simply having a bit of a laugh?

About six months ago, I was stood outside of the Emirates in Holloway and this couple of French tourists asked me if there were toilet facilities inside the stadium. I chuckled as I answered "yes" and they seemed to take offence.

Last edited by a moderator:

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks. Almost the thing I was thinking of but this really was more basic. Literally a piece of rubber that could be wound around itself to add depth.
Inner tube will do the job as stated, you can wrap as little or as much as needed

Lovacott

Über Member
Inner tube will do the job as stated, you can wrap as little or as much as needed

Wiring insulation tape is much easier because you can wind on exactly the right amount of layers to give you a snug fit and once it's stuck on, it won't be moving all around the place as you fit the mount over the tube.

One trick I used recently was to wrap a couple of elastic bands around the handlebar to mount a car mobile phone holder that I'd modified by attaching a seat post mounted reflector clamp in place of the suction cap.

It was supposed to be a five minute fix but it's still going strong and I see no need to change it.

Lovacott

Über Member
Godwin's Law in a post about rubber bands!

That's the internet for you.

Top Bottom