What's the Widest and Narrowest you've had?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
My current bike stable has 25mm and 4.75 inches as extremes.

When I was younger and much keener, I used to ride 700x23s.

Now I am older and happier I have 700x42 on my hybrid and 26x1.95 on my bikes. It's like riding on marshmallow lane.

CXRAndy

Guru
Are narrower tyres more likely to puncture ?

I’m thinking about potholes and the like.

Yes, because the pressure on the road with contact patch is much higher. Sharp objects more likely to pierce the tyre. Big tyre could deform over sharp object with piercing

CharleyFarley

On my cruiser: 54 -599. 26 x 2.125"
On my fat bike: 26 x 4" I used to have 26 x 4.6" but they were knobblies which were susceptible to punctures in long grass, from sand burrs. I ride pavement all the time and I wanted tires like car tires, and they only come in 4" widths.
Incidentally, when I bought the fat road tires, they were $70 apiece. Now they are $110 apiece. I know inflation and supply have to be taken into consideration but that seems an awfully steep price hike.

freiston

Veteran
On my touring bike back in the early 80s, I had Mavic Module E 27" rims with Michelin Elan 27" x 1" tyres - they were in reality narrower - Velobase says they were about 3/4". I had a lemon of a Dawes Chilliwack in the 90s that had 26"x something or other (2" I reckon) knobblies that I replaced with 1½" (40-559) Marathons & mudguards. I currently have 700c 32mm Vittoria Randonneur Pro II on my touring bike and 42mm on my 20" wheeled folding bike. If I ever have the spare cash, I would like to build a bike based on the Spa Wayfarer frame with 40mm+.

So to sum up narrowest - actual 3/4" (marked as 1"); widest 2" - but that was last century.

CharleyFarley

My cruiser came with 1.175 tires but I liked white walls, so I put those on and sold the originals. The bike is all black and the white walls were too contrasty, so I sold them just a couple of weeks after fitting them. Another thing was, I put the bike maker's fenders on it, and they are 3 1/4" wide but the original tires looked too skinny. So I sold those and got 2.125. Now I'm happy at great expense. Aesthetics plays a role in my tire choices, and I like the fat look.

classic33

Leg End Member
Narrowest: 22mm
Widest: 4"
Neither were my bikes.

Caperider

23cc on my road bike Scott s-50 speedster and 26"x4" on my salsa bucksaw full suspension fat bike. Its like pedaling a couch in the woods. And on the beach! :smile:

Last edited:
Narrowest was 18mm tubs on my velodrome race wheels, on the road was 20mm. Now prefer 700 x 28mm on the road.

Widest would be 26 x 2.25 on an old MTB. Realistically, I won’t want anything wider when I next play in the dirt.

Top Bottom