whats this bit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wisdom

Guru
Hi all whilst cleaning the bike today this bit fell out.
Its not an oil seal more like a cap to protect the threads I think.
there appears to be a bit stuck in the end of the hollowtech bottom bracket.
Any ideas where I can get one from and how do I get the remainder out.
Its a deore chainset.

20150124_172638.jpg
20150124_172608.jpg
20150124_172717.jpg
20150124_172740.jpg

D

Deleted member 23692

Looks like the plastic cover off a crank bolt, similar to these

CK028.jpg

D

Deleted member 23692

You've got an 'octalink' bottom bracket, and there is a bolt - you can see the hex fo the allen key (8 or 10mm) in the photo. The cover just click on (narrow end first)

Something like this

shimano-alivio-fc-m430-crankset-223244-octalink-170mm-black-9-speed.jpg

I can see the bolt from here. The actual crank is hollow forged but the BB is an Octalink BB with a bolt holding it in. That plastic bit must have come out of there. Is it plastic or buna? It does look like a W seal but hard to say what texture it is.

You may understand better if I used the incorrect term for the crank - the crankarm*. In other words, the crank arm is the hollow bit the etching refers to.

* There is no such thing as a crank arm. A crank is an arm.

shadow master

Its just a trim for the bolt head,I can clearly see its missing just push it back on,its only a trim to keep dust muck out,have a look on the other side,unless its dropped out its the same.

OP
OP
wisdom

wisdom

Guru
Thanks shadowmaster.It does look just like a trim.A bit like a wheeltrim on a car.Looks like a bit is left in.Does anyone no where I can get one from?

shadow master

A complete replacement bolt is about the only way you'll get one(must be octalink type).I'd just hook the odd bit out,even if you have to undo the 8mm key to get to it,its a bit of one of the little ears that make it grab,should hold just fine with the ears still left.

Top Bottom