What's this called and how do I get it off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lpretro1

Servicing SPDs is 15 mins of a job - all that is needed is some good grease and the SPD removal//fitting tool & a vice

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I was convinced my headset was creaking ,turned out to be the seatpost creaking in the tube.
as its only a 5 minute job I would pull the seatpost out clean it and the inside of the tube re grease and you may be lucky.
If not the time wasn't wasted anyway.

CUBE CRD

I was convinced my headset was creaking ,turned out to be the seatpost creaking in the tube.
as its only a 5 minute job I would pull the seatpost out clean it and the inside of the tube re grease and you may be lucky.
If not the time wasn't wasted anyway.

Spent the last couple of evenings chasing down an unmerciful racket from the bike - re-greased and tightened pedals,stem bolts,chainring bolts,spd cleats.Went for test ride.No joy.:scratch:
Whipped out the seatpost and gave it the same treatment - problem solved :wahhey:

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
admirable you want to take em apart but for the cost of new SPD against your time and materials and tools . just buy new
The planet is being destroyed so that people can just sling stuff in the bin instead of taking a few minutes to do a simple job. I thought cycling was supposed to be eco friendly!

Rant over.
Servicing SPDs is 15 mins of a job - all that is needed is some good grease and the SPD removal//fitting tool & a vice
This is true, as long as you do it regularly so that dirt doesn't have a chance to get past the seals and deep inside. A lot of people do little more than this:
1. Unscrew the collar, remove the bearing/spindle unit and give it a quick wipe
2. Shove a paper towel in the pedal body and clean that out
3. Put a large blob of grease in the pedal body
4. Plunge the bearing/spindle unit back into the pedal body and tighten the collar

OP
OP
contadino

contadino

Veteran
The planet is being destroyed so that people can just sling stuff in the bin instead of taking a few minutes to do a simple job. I thought cycling was supposed to be eco friendly!

Not helped by manufacturers making their components require proprietary tools.

Phoned around all 8 bike shops that I know of yesterday. Nobody sells the TL PD 40 tool. Neither do Amazon Italy, CRC or Wiggle. So now I'm faced with the choice of ordering one from abroad or buying some pedals that can at least be serviced and risking the noise being from elsewhere.

Anyway, I need to go for a spin today to see if that loose screw in my cleat was the cause.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Not helped by manufacturers making their components require proprietary tools.

Phoned around all 8 bike shops that I know of yesterday. Nobody sells the TL PD 40 tool. Neither do Amazon Italy, CRC or Wiggle. So now I'm faced with the choice of ordering one from abroad or buying some pedals that can at least be serviced and risking the noise being from elsewhere.

Anyway, I need to go for a spin today to see if that loose screw in my cleat was the cause.
I got my pedal tool from spa cycles, but only after visiting about 3 other local shops, none of whom stocked it. One of the mechanics even told me that 'most people just throw them in the bin'. Totally depressing attitude.

And it is only £2, although it does help if have a vice to put it in.
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b32s72p2704

subaqua

What’s the point

Rant over.

This is true, as long as you do it regularly so that dirt doesn't have a chance to get past the seals and deep inside. A lot of people do little more than this:
1. Unscrew the collar, remove the bearing/spindle unit and give it a quick wipe
2. Shove a paper towel in the pedal body and clean that out
3. Put a large blob of grease in the pedal body
4. Plunge the bearing/spindle unit back into the pedal body and tighten the collar

Dim,

where did I say sling it in the bin ?

there are these great places called " waste metal recylers" that will happily take things like that and give you some pennies in return.

I have a box at home ( and space is a premium there as its a mid terrace ) that all the busted stuff goes in . when its full I strap it to the back of the bike and ride up to the recycler. gets me a ride on the bike and some money - not much but hey ho .

one thing also about servicing the pedals- the wear on the surfaces- if the grease has been done poorly then the surfaces can be pitted and you will never get a smooth running

OP
OP
contadino

contadino

Veteran
The pedals turned out to be a bit of a red herring. I swapped them out for the original ones and the noise was still there.

So I invested in a crank puller, swapped the bottom bracket bearings for some new ones, regreased everything and it's running like a dream now.

The wonders of YouTube. And in the process I found a new LBS who seems very capable and willing to fill the gaps between jobs I want to be able to do and the more fiddly stuff. ☺

Top Bottom