What's this plant invading my lawn?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Not the first lawn query I've posted on here but we're in the new house now and gradually trying to get the garden up to scratch. The lawn is slowly getting more sensible but now we have this invader which seems to be marching its way across from the privet hedge.

Dark maroon leaves, little blue flowers which the two year old seems to like, and spreading at an alarming rate. So what is it, should I try and get rid of it and if so, how?

20180612_201935.jpg
20180612_201902.jpg
20180525_110306.jpg

Slick

Guru
Looks like campanula (catharina) and can spread rapidly. It likes plenty shade so that's why it's following the line of the hedge.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
What lawn, I just see mud and a few blades of grass. :tongue:
You should have seen the state ofnit when we moved in. It hadn't been touched for about a year. We've just got it into a useable state.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Is the cutting the same as the 1st couple of pictures?
Yes it's the same plant.
Probably need a proper gardener but now I think it looks like ajuga reptans (burgundy glow).

Self Heal (Prunella vulgaris)
Doesn't quite look like it to me.

Probably need a proper gardener but now I think it looks like ajuga reptans (burgundy glow).

Yes, I think that's the one. Same shape flowers and same colour leaves. Now what to do about it? I'm not averse to having wild flowers on the lawn but should I try and get rid of it? I can imagine it taking over quite quickly.

Top Bottom