What's this plant invading my lawn?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Yes it's the same plant.

Doesn't quite look like it to me.

Yes, I think that's the one. Same shape flowers and same colour leaves. Now what to do about it? I'm not averse to having wild flowers on the lawn but should I try and get rid of it? I can imagine it taking over quite quickly.

If you're not up for a super dooper Stripes lawn I'd just leave it. The bees will like the flowers. Just rip a bit out from time to time when it gets a bit rowdy.

Slick

Guru
It adapts with a lower-than-blade height habit unfortunately.
Would evergreen extra get rid?

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Using weedkiller in the garden does seem a bit wrong to me. I can't quite put my finger on why but it just does. The rest of the lawn is utterly infested with dandelions which I'm bravely battling against with my little weeder...

classic33

Leg End Member
Mrs D reckons that it's Ground Ivy.
(But I must just mention that she has just downed a bottle of Pinot)
Carpet Bugleweed
images-1.jpg

Milzy

Guru
Looks a nice plant.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Ajuga isn't a weed, it's a pretty ground-cover plant in the right place. Move it into a border somewhere?
I think it may have spread from what used to be a border under that somewhat overgrown hedge. I'm planning to cut the hedge back very hard, very soon, so we'll see what's under there.

When you say 'move', that implies there might be a method of making it be not where it is any more. What might that be? We don't actually have any useable borders at the moment.

I think it may have spread from what used to be a border under that somewhat overgrown hedge. I'm planning to cut the hedge back very hard, very soon, so we'll see what's under there.

When you say 'move', that implies there might be a method of making it be not where it is any more. What might that be? We don't actually have any useable borders at the moment.
Ajuga isn't deep rooted. Just pull it out of the grass. It spreads by runners above the ground. You can easily relocate bits of it to empty patches in flower beds. Just keep it under control by pulling off the bits that are spreading in a direction you don't want it too. It is a great ground cover plant and bees love it.

I've just read ops last post.
You may not find any remaining Ajuga under the hedge. As the runners take root, each new plant is self sufficient so is not reliant on the original root source. The older parts will die back. This is how the plant ends up walking from where it was planted.
If you don't have anywhere to relocate it to, see if anyone doing community gardens is looking for plants to fill in spaces.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My round I’m buying. Too quick on the draw. I agree with you.

Pleased to read this as I was convinced it’s Ajuga but your initial suggestion put doubt in my mind.

I’ve never seen it growing in to a lawn like this before. Provided it doesn’t get out of hand I would leave it be. It really depends what you want, sterile bright green lawn with stripes or grass with interesting other stuff which pops up now and again. I go for the later as life’s too short.

MikeG

Guru
[QUOTE 5275487, member: 9609"].........A weedy lawn needs less maintenance, less chemicals and above all like all biodiversity it is just good for the enviroment in attracting more insects (which is great natural food for the birds) along with all the pollinators like butterflys and bees.[/QUOTE]

I dug up 80 square metres of our lawn last year, stripped away much of the rich topsoil and replaced it with sharp sand, then sowed weed seeds all over it about 4 or 5 weeks ago. It will be mowed every 3 weeks, so it remains a lawn rather than a meadow, but I can't wait to have some colour and variety. I've kept an area of formal lawn, pristine and striped, and as paths through the weedy areas, too. Lawns, as you say, don't have to be a boring monoculture.

Having said that, the one in the OP needs some help!!

Top Bottom